We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Place To Go For Wildlife in Northern vancouver Island?

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
471 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Best Place To Go For Wildlife in Northern vancouver Island?

i will be flying from miami to canada on august 1st and don't have meetings until the morning of august 6th in vancouver. this will be my fifth time to vancouver. i have been to victoria twice and whistler twice so I want to now see something else prior to the 6th.

I was going to spend 4 days at the knight inlet lodge but didn't start the process fast enough.

I have heard that northern vancouver island is best for wildlife viewing. since knight inlet is booked what location do people suggest? telegraph cove is at the top of my list because the bear and whale tours seem quite popular. however, i know that just because something is popular does not mean it is good so I am open to suggestions.

if i had more time i would like to consider maple leaf tours or ocean light tours but i know there isn't enough time for those.

also, if someone knows how much time it will roughly take to get from the city/town they suggest to the hyatt on burrard i would greatly appreciate a time frame.

in terms of animals, i would like to see bears even though i saw some in whistler, whales even though i saw a bunch on a great tour in victoria and have heard the johnston strait is quite nice. thanks in advance for the tips.

SpringTide Whale Watching & Charters
Boat Tours, Eco Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Nature & Wildlife Tours
A Taste of Victoria Food Tours
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours
Bike Tours Victoria BC
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Bike Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
12,440 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Place To Go For Wildlife in Northern vancouver Island?

Hi there.. August 2 is a holiday here in BC so you'll be arriving in the middle of a long weekend. I'm going to suggest you still look at Telegraph Cove or Port McNeill. Will you have a car? if not then travel will take considerable time. ..you will need to get to the ferry, do a crossing and then drive up island for about 3 hours. One other option is to fly to Comox and rent from there. Kayaking would be a good option for seeing wildlife.

Port McNeill
Level Contributor
483 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Place To Go For Wildlife in Northern vancouver Island?

You may have left it a little late for the the lodge based bear watching. As an alternative you will likely have better luck putting together a day of bear viewing, another of kayaking, and another of whale watching for example.

You may try a place like Hidden Cove Lodge www.hiddencovelodge.com between Port McNeill and Telegraph Cove as a base. Mackay Whale Watching www.whaletime.com and Tide Rip Grizzly Tours www.tiderip.com will pick you up right at their dock and Kingfisher Adventures www.kingfisher.ca will pick you up and drive you to Telegraph Cove for a kayak day trip.

To get to downtown Vancouver from Hidden Cove will take you 6 to 8 hours if driving (4 hour drive to ferry, 1 1/2 hour sailing, 30 minute drive to downtown plus waiting and loading time at the ferry terminals). Port Hardy is the closest airport and flying takes about 2 1/2 hours www.pacific-coastal.com (flight is 1 hour and 15 minutes plus waiting and travel time on either side). If driving do make reservations for the ferry but if travelling by yourself and renting a car you will find flying costs about the same and saves you lot s of time

Edited: 20 June 2010, 06:04
Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
471 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Place To Go For Wildlife in Northern vancouver Island?

Hi. Kingfisher you have nice photos on your website but it seems to have 4 day and more trips and since I am arriving on the second and need to be in Vancouver that Friday morning there is not enough time for those trips.

Someone emailed me that Tofino and lond beach lodge would be good options but does that area have better wildlife than northern vancouver island?

I love the ferry because the views are great and it is the nicest ferry I have ever been on (I am amazed it has vegetarian food) but I agree that flying makes the most sense.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
12,440 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Place To Go For Wildlife in Northern vancouver Island?

Sorry thought you were arriving on the 1st? Tofino may well be all booked as well because of the long weekend.It is possible to fly over there..search the forum with that as there was a recent discussion about flight options.

Port McNeill
Level Contributor
483 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Place To Go For Wildlife in Northern vancouver Island?

For kayak day trips go to kingfisher.ca/sea_kayaking_johnstone_strait_… or North Island Kayak in Telegraph Cove also offers kayak day trips http://www.kayakbc.ca/tours/dt/info.htm .

Tofino is a beautiful place to visit and has get beaches and wildlife but I don't think the diversity and quantity of wildlife can compare to northern Vancouver Island at that time of year. However they do get grey whales that we don't.

If you do wish to learn more about the tours I offer contact me via e-mail (available on the website)so I don't go too far astray of self-promoting on this site. (you will likely also get a faster response)

Owen Sound, Canada
Level Contributor
628 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Place To Go For Wildlife in Northern vancouver Island?

I agree that Hidden Cove Lodge would be ideal. Good chances for wildlife on the grounds [black-tailed deer are quite common and black bear are not infrequent] and all of the tours noted above are convenient from the lodge dock. MacKay's whale watching do a great trip and you will be there at what is usually a good time of year for killer whales and a variety of other species.

New York
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Place To Go For Wildlife in Northern vancouver Island?

Any suggestions for non-kayaking nature-viewing tours throughout Vancouver Island?

We'd like to fly into Vancouver at the end of August, and hike and view wilderness/wildlife, but travel by boat or ferry or let someone else do the driving.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
62,247 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Place To Go For Wildlife in Northern vancouver Island?

Gabe ~ you've got a new question here. Best to start a new topic. First of all, you want your user name to show on the main forum page so we can track what info has been given to you and those answers will trigger new ones. You don't really want to be buried down at #7 of someone else's thread. Second, Sabrina really doesn't want to get email notifications that may not be addressed to her. Third, the thread becomes confused as to what answers go with whom.

Start a new topic.

9. Re: Best Place To Go For Wildlife in Northern vancouver Island?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 January 2011, 05:16