We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cont Brecky, make your own, eat out

sask.canada
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Cont Brecky, make your own, eat out

There are four of us and we have to decide or come to a meeting of minds! Some like the cont breaky as to no dishes no prep just eat and start touring the country side. We are touring around so it is not like we will be able to relax for a day at the accom as we only have 6 days to enjoy the VI. Many places provide coffee, toaster, etc and you have to purchase the food and prepare. I should say we are going to eat out for the dinner meal and maybe prepare an occasional meal. Agreed on lunch bag unless a fantastic lunch menu. I like to know what others like doing on their holidays and how it affects their choice of accomodations. Thanks

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,148 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cont Brecky, make your own, eat out

I would never choose making breakfast in the room. I want to eat and get out and about fairly promptly. I would choose to have the food put in front of me and let someone else clean up. On holidays, after all. I can make toast at home.

IMO it's simply a personal preference. The cost of the CB, although they usually say complimentary and we always think "free," is not that much more in the room price than a hotel without that amenity.

Sechelt, BC
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast
Level Contributor
3,007 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cont Brecky, make your own, eat out

When I am travelling I look for room service for morning coffee and a fruit bowl. I hate the coffee provided with the in room coffee makers and that white powder cream substitute crap should be outlawed. We usually stop mid morning for brunch along the way.

We almost always have a small cooler filled with fruit, drinks, and snacks when on the road. The potato chips almost always find a way in our car. Don’t understand how that happens.

sask.canada
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cont Brecky, make your own, eat out

I so agree with the replies so far. I have been looking for hotels,etc with the CB and I do not think it is that much more. I like the idea of a cottage, condo but feel I would have to do meals and purchase grocery. I find little if not more for price range for condo, etc. We are doing mostly sight see and in the future would like to stay at place and enjoy. On the road idea, was excellent. Might have to purchase cheap cooler as we are arriving by train. Thanks as I hope to get more ideas!

sask.canada
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cont Brecky, make your own, eat out

How do some of you great TA's plan you vacation accomodation?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cont Brecky, make your own, eat out

Yes, Mufti. But for those of us who are not morning people, it can be downright painful sometimes going to a restaurant, reading a menu, being friendly (well, at least civil) to a server and having to make a decision! (We have well-travelled bowls and spoons in our suitcases and buy our usual cereal, fruit and milk.) We do like B&Bs as a change of pace, which may seem a direct contradiction to what I have just said. However, that somehow seems different.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,584 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cont Brecky, make your own, eat out

I actually don't consider breakfast when planning accommodation..if we're doing a road trip in Canada we sometimes will stay at a Days Inn or a Best Western that offer the continental breakfast and recently we had a stay in Winnipeg at a Holiday Inn and I chose the package that includes breakfast as we've stayed at the hotel before and know the breakfast there is excellent..and we were doing chores so no time/option for lunch .. a big breakfast a small afternoon tea and dinner are our usual when travelling.. but I can say that breakfast ( (included or not) isn't a consideration at all when choosing where to stay. I am on holidays and don't want to cook so would hate a place that gave me a toaster and made me buy food!

If we're going to be somewhere for 2 or 3 nights I look for location, view, (need lots of light and windows) privacy.

sask.canada
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cont Brecky, make your own, eat out

Yes, traveller 47, I like the idea if I am going to stay somewhere for 2-3 nights at the same place that I look for location, view and privacy. I am going to use this info for future vacations. This trip will keep moving from place to place to sightsee and my opinion is to look for cont breakfast and we are doing a B&B in Jasper. I so hope that I can come back some day and enjoy those cabins with the ocean view at Beach Acres in Parksville. They look great. Thanks

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,181 posts
420 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cont Brecky, make your own, eat out

The cabin we stayed in a few years ago at Beach Acres looked great but wasn't. It was Cabin #1 I believe (farthest down the beach road to the left). Each are individually owned as we were later told. Had we known this I would have avoided the place as we have learned many times in the past that properties that are individually owned without a common decorating or maintenance requirement have varying quality. Our cabin had the single worst bed I've ever attempted to sleep on in my life. Everything else in the place was left over basement furniture.

Try the Beach Club! Nice property!

sask.canada
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cont Brecky, make your own, eat out

thanks buckaneer Dave, I would have had no clue as I thought they all looked the same,etc. Thanks

10. Re: Cont Brecky, make your own, eat out

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2011, 06:17