We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

coastal spirits sea kayaking

NM
Level Contributor
62 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
coastal spirits sea kayaking

Very negative postings about this company. Please go to tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g154944-i206-k3820…

Rhode Island
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: coastal spirits sea kayaking

My husband and I just got back from taking a Kayak With the Orcas Tour with the company Coastal Spirits, and we felt obliged to get something out there on the web for other travellers.

We had a good time, in spite of the huge discrepancy between the reality of the trip and what the website promises. But we wanted to warn others so that they could be better prepared than we were. Here's our list of top complaints:

1.) It is difficult to communicate with the company or to find out more info about the trip than what is posted on the website: www.kayakbritishcolumbia.com/tour1e.html

We didn't even actually know the location of the campsite until we got there. And I had to e-mail to request invoices, trip info, and packing recommendations. My main communication complaint: the packing list provided was generic and not appropriate for our early September trip. We did not have enough warm clothes, nor enough changes of clothing. The packing list mentions that you are constrained by a certain bag size; in reality, it didn't matter.

2.) The website completely "oversells" the trip. You do not actually kayak "with" the orcas. We did see orcas from the beach, but they never surfaced whilst we were kayaking. (And from what we heard, it is rare that they ever do.) I understand that you cannot control wild animals, and perhaps it was best that it happened that way, but the name of the tour should not be "Kayak With Orcas" if you aren't likely to actually be doing that!

3.) This is a camping trip. Do not delude yourself, after reading the glamorous version portrayed by the website, that you will be doing anything other than camping. The safari tents are not nearly as big as the picture shown; there are neither air mattresses nor power strips (which the website said at one time); the solar showers are only warm if there's sun (quite likely there won't be); the food is quite good, but not technically "gourmet"; and the "outdoor toilet" mentioned is actually a compost heap with a wooden seat. Again, if you are used to camping, this is all fine. But many people on our tour were expecting much more refined conditions. It's good to know what to expect.

4.) This is not kayaking for beginners, as the website claims. It is helpful to have had some kayaking experience. While the guides are patient and informative, the waters can be quite choppy. Most of the novice paddlers on our trip did not get back in the water after the first day, leaving them with little to do on this trip, other than hang out on the beach.

5.) If you decide to go on this trip, bring warm clothing and clothing for wet weather. You never get fully dry, between getting wet from kayaking and the rain. And bring your own sleeping bag! Someone on our tour rented one, it was dirty...complete with a dirty pair of shoes stuffed inside. Apparently, they don't clean the sleeping bags after every use, as promised!

Happy Travels.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,750 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: coastal spirits sea kayaking

Hi Polyp,

I notice this trip review was posted a year ago. Did you hear anything back from the Campbell River tourism office? Information about that would be helpful to know.

NM
Level Contributor
62 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: coastal spirits sea kayaking

Take a look at all the negative postings for this trip at tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g154944-i206-k3820…

Question for you: what in the world did you do all day at the campsite?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
296 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: coastal spirits sea kayaking

What a shame you had such a bad experience. We did a trip with "North Island Kayaks" in late August and it was a trip highlight. Im not saying that to contradict your experience, but would hate to see other folk not doing this trip because of bad reviews. We were very lucky and did indeed kayak with many Orca all around us on many occasions, lucky as I said. Id suggest asking a lot of questions of your company before signing up, read TAs reviews, heed this posters comments, but dont be put off the trip as such. Theres other excellent companies out there. I have both reviewed and posted a trip report if anyones interested.

5. Re: coastal spirits sea kayaking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 April 2011, 06:17