We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Scenic Drives and Hikes

Black Diamond, WA
Level Contributor
12 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Best Scenic Drives and Hikes

My husband and I are spending 10 days on Vancouver Island in September. Probably our only trip there, so want to make the most of the 10 days. We are only interested in scenic drives and hiking. We are fit, but in our 60s, so day hikes only please. No Victoria, no tourist traps, no general sight seeing. Sorry for all the "no's", but wanted to narrow it down for you all. So would love to know what you consider the best scenic drives and the best day hikes on Vancouver Island itself (not the Gulf Islands or San Juans), and we can research and narrow it down, if necessary, from there. Thank you!

Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,469 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Scenic Drives and Hikes

Driving Hwy 19A between Parksville and Campbell River is more scenic than taking the "freeway" Hwy 19. Much of it is along the shore and there are also little side roads that can be taken. Driving through Cowichan Bay is nice. www.cowichanbay.com

There are several trails up Mt Washington of varying degree of ease/difficulty and the view is awesome. www.mountwashington.ca You can walk around in Cathedral Grove amongst the huge Douglas Fir trees. www.vancouverisland.com/parks/?id=286

There is a very nice hike to Ripple Rock from just north of Campbell River. vancouver-island-adventures.com/ripple-rock.…

Black Diamond, WA
Level Contributor
12 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Scenic Drives and Hikes

Thanks for your helpful links, etc. Unfortunately I just broke my foot, so no more hiking for awhile! I'll try to figure out how to get the original post off the board.......

3. Re: Best Scenic Drives and Hikes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2011, 07:18