We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

-month long camping/fishing trip- agenda wanted

morro bay, ca
10 posts
Save Topic
-month long camping/fishing trip- agenda wanted

My wife and I have a pop up tent trailer that we want to tour V. Island with. I love to fish and will be bringing my ocean kayak with me to use, hopefully to do alot of fishing in, as well as sightseeing. I have experience fishing out of my yak in Ca, and feel comfortable on the open ocean. I am looking for advice on an agenda for spending around a month on the island. My dad is also planning on meeting us for a few days to take a guided fishing trip with me. What area of the Island would give us the best chance for the big fish ( salmon, Halibut)? We will be arriving around July 8 - Aug 8.

We did a similar trip last year up to montana. One thing we'd like to try an avoid is packing up and moving to a new location every 2-3 days. Ideally, we'd like to find a number of locations to stay at for 4-6 days before moving on. We like campgrounds with a forest feel as opposed to open ocean. Any help would be appreciated in the following areas: kayak fishing ocean and Lake, camping , best bet for my dad to come for a few days and hook a big one!!

Thanks,

kp

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,490 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: -month long camping/fishing trip- agenda wanted

The techniques used inshore rockfishing from kayaks in California work well here too and you 'might' hook a Salmon that way-depends on the Coho run which was overall poor last year.

There's a somewhat organised campground on the beach in Port Renfrew no need for ressies usually.

http://www.portrenfrew.com/pacheedaht/

(250) 647-5521

Another gorgeous place near the hamlet of Bamfield.

huuayaht.org/index.php…

2011 is a Pink Salmon year and Pinks should be found off beaches/rivermouths especially on the northern half on the Inside-ECVI-this is a good place for a base.

http://www.cluxewe.com/

as is

http://www.quatsecampground.com/

If you have a Crab trap then bring it-crabbing can be fabulous no need to leave the trap down long-if nothing is in it after an hour relocate and try again.

Edited: 19 February 2011, 19:26
Port McNeill
Level Contributor
466 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: -month long camping/fishing trip- agenda wanted

A month will give you a good amount of time to spend on Vancouver Island. I would suggest splitting time between the west coast (Tofino / Ucluelet area), the central island around Campbell River, and the north island near Port McNeill.

I am most familiar with the north island and kayaking and will focus on that. Salmon fishing on the north island picks up the later into summer you get, so August will generally be better than July.

Cluxewe Campground - www.cluxewe.com - 10 minutes north of Port McNeill. Right on the water and adjacent to the Cluxewe River. This site is on the water. When the pink salmon are running good fishing right from shore or a little further out in a kayak. I have fished from my kayak a little of the campsite near Lady Ellen point and caught a few nice salmon.

Marble River Campsite. This a forestry campsite next to Marble River Provincial about 20 minuet form Port McNeil towards Port Alice. Very nice forest sites and best of all they are free! A fisherman's trail along the river (you don't want to take your kayak on the river). The mouth of the river can be reached by a 30 minute drive to Rupert Inlet and then a few miles to paddle in from there. I have no first hand experience on this but I hear the coho can be very good here.

Telegraph Cove Resorts Campsite - www.telegraphcoveresort.com/camping.html - 25 minutes south of Port McNeill - most people only see the RV park and think this is the only campsite in Telegraph Cove but there is another very nice wooded site hidden up the hill. Will probably have better success with bottom fish here than any of the other sites.

Bere Point Campsite - www.rdmw.bc.ca/siteengine/activepage.asp… - this in on Malcolm Island and 30 minuet ferry ride from Port McNeill. Also on the water. Nice beach walks and forest trails to explore. The water here has a much longer fetch than any of the other sites so can get a bit wavier. The north side of Malcolm Island is popular with the sports fishermen.

There are many more basic Forestry campsites throughout the area as well as lakes for trout fishing. Visit one of the local tourist info centres for a map of the forestry sites. You could also order a copy of the back road map book for Vancouver Island amazon.com/Vancouver-Victoria-Islands-Backro… to help you plan in advance. Note that some of the logging roads on the map may be closed or decommissioned but it will give you a pretty good idea

Fishing Charters:

Leisure Suit Charter Port McNeill - www.leisuresuitcharters.com

Code 3 Charters - Port McNeill - www.code3charters.com

Telegraph Cove Resorts - www.telegraphcoveresort.com - the resort office can put you in touch with charters from the cove.

Fishing from a kayak.

Note that we have large tidal ranges and many of the above areas also have strong currents. I believe a lot of kayak fishing in California is done from sit on top kayaks. If that is what you plan to use you will definitely want immersion gear up here (I fish from an enclosed kayak). Aslo have a plan on how to land your catch. Getting the fish to the kayak is usually not the issue, it's the "what do I do now?" Even a small halibut is quite a handful. Any fish of a reasonable size up here I always find it much easier to have a friend along to help me get it in the kayak.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,490 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: -month long camping/fishing trip- agenda wanted

This is a massive searchable site with some of the less-trafficked campsites on it.

http://www.sitesandtrailsbc.ca/

morro bay, ca
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: -month long camping/fishing trip- agenda wanted

great info! Thanks for the advice. Our initial plan is to spend time in tofino, sprout lake, campbell river area, Telegraph cove/ port hardy area.

any advice on what location my dad should meet us for a fishing trip on a boat? I know they all have fish, but is one location better than another.

In regards to landing fish from a yak, I typically bring a large net, gaff, and rubber mallet, here along the central coast of CA. I can't wait to hook a salmon! Our there many people fishing from kayaks in the various locations?

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: -month long camping/fishing trip- agenda wanted

I like Sam Salmons suggestion on Bamfield. I think at that time of year you have a good chance of catching a salmon in that area. As for meeting your Dad, maybe Port Alberni, there is some great fishing there. Check out China Creek campsite and marina, or a little further up the Alberni "canal" is a real nice little spot called Poetts Nook.....nice kayaking and fishing out of there also.

..www.poettnook.com/ -

www.portalberniportauthority.ca/en/node/13

morro bay, ca
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: -month long camping/fishing trip- agenda wanted

forgot to mention, I have a cobra fish n dive kayak. It's 17 feet sit on top kayak with a ball mounted rod holder for trolling.

I was planning on getting tackle from local fishing stores, around here I use plastic fish traps on a torpedo weight. I typically catch assorted rock fish,the biggest being lingcod and big reds. Halibut is hit or miss

Do you think I'll need camping reservations for the entire trip? I'm definitely planning to reserve in the Tofino area. What about the rest of the Island? It's in my best interest to only stay at sites with showers or showers near by (got to keep the wife happy).

Edited: 19 February 2011, 20:39
Port McNeill
Level Contributor
466 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: -month long camping/fishing trip- agenda wanted

Kayak fishing where I am is more of a sideline to kayak tripping for most people. For example people will fish on their kayak trips but are not specifically going kayaking just to fish. Out of the locations I mentioned Telegraph Cove is the only place you may see people go out for the day specifically for fishing from their kayaks (I might be one of them). This year saw so many sockeye coming through that I had to try and get a few when the chances arose.

Most of my kayak fishing is more along the lines of opportunistic food fishing. If I am on a multi-day kayak trip and I see a school of pink salmon under my kayak out comes my line and I enjoy a BBQ salmon for dinner. Same if I am in a place that looks good for ling cod. I try my best not to do too much bottom fishing unless I plan to eat what I catch as the rock fish can be very easy to catch (even when you don't want to) and have a high mortality rate when released. They also take a very long time to reach maturity.

Mouthca Bay Resort in Nootka Sound www.moutchabay.com/events-specials-resort.php has an annual kayak fishing derby.

I usually carry an assortment of buzz bombs as an all round lure plus a few small pink hochies and maybe one big *ss cod jig. If planning to troll you will want to have set up to get you deep enough. I have seen a couple of home made down rigger set ups for kayaks but most people I know use a deep six (at least that is what I think it is called). Even just jigging in some areas need lots of weight to get to the bottom due to the currents.

The later you get in the summer the more you will want to reserve your campsites on the north island. Cluxewe and Telegraph Cove are the only two campsites I listed earlier that have showers.

In Port McNeill the Shop Rite store has a huge assortment of fishing gear.

All this typing about fishing...think I am going to pull a sockeye out the freezer for dinner.

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
2,796 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: -month long camping/fishing trip- agenda wanted

I'll second the Cluxewe as a great base up by Pt McNeill. If you pick the right site, you have a river behind you and the ocean in front with some trees for shade and wind protection. I only fished in the mornings and then went on hikes or a whale trip for the bulk of the day. The pinks were in that year and once I figured out the spots on the beach, hooking salmon in knee deep water was pretty consistent. I was tossing flies and they seemed to like them. Any beaches near rivers should hold fish.

Good luck!

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,490 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: -month long camping/fishing trip- agenda wanted

If it's Spring (Chinook) Salmon you want then you & your Dad should take a charter out of Ucluelet.

You'll be trolling deep over the offshore banks-returns the past two years have been outstanding.

http://fishmyster.com/

http://www.westcoastfish.com/

http://viangling.com/fishing/

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,987 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: -month long camping/fishing trip- agenda wanted

Sam is right on in all he's suggested. The peak for Bamfield is the 3rd week in August but either side of the peak works. Torquart Bay is a good vantage point for the Pinkertons and Broken Islands as well as a cold swim in the deep pools of Lucky Creek and a warm swim up Pipestem Inlet. Ucluelet is the place for you and your dad to take the charter.