We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 day drive vancouver island

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
7 day drive vancouver island

i

m looking for any info on this trip my wife and i arrive fron australia

on the 27th sept and want to tour the island

1 is 7 days long enough

2 places to drive to and see

3 the name of a good map to purchase and where

4 is the vancouver ferry running in sept

any info would be really helpfull

thank you

from down under

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,042 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 day drive vancouver island

Welcome to the adventure in planning known as Trip Advisor. It is a collection of personal opinions of variable accuracy and currency, so take it for what it's worth.

My thoughts on your questions are:

1. A lifetime isn't long enough, but if 7 days is all you've got, then its a good start. As you haven't told us what you want to do, then its very difficult for us to evaluate your question. If you had asked "Is seven days long enough to go shopping in Victoria." then I would respond "Too much time." If, on the other hand you had asked "Is 7 days enough time to hike the West Coast Trail, go sailing through the Southern Gulf Islands, go whale and bear watching out of Telegraph Cove, kayaking in the Broken Islands group, beachcombing in Pacific Rim National Park, scuba diving off Hornby Island, zip lining in Sooke and tour the heritage sites around Victoria?" then I'd suggest you're a bit tight for time.

2. See 1.

3. The petrol stations still carry maps I think. I still prefer an old fashioned paper map to GPS.

4. BC ferries is a service for commercial traffic as well as tourist traffic. The residents of Vancouver Island would run out of food if they didn't run. (poking a bit of fun there - don't mean to be offensive. ;>)

http://www.bcferries.com/

Happy planning!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,201 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 day drive vancouver island

Hi suegor ~

Welcome to TA and to the Forum.

I would like to suggest that you give your time frame overall, a bit of an itinerary if you have one sorted yet, your interests (see V67), because doing that would bring you the best advice. (You're coming a long way for 7 days on the Island.)

Perhaps I could point out that on the sidebar of each forum, you will find Things to Do and Travel Guide. Also at the top right of each forum you will find Top Questions which contain the most commonly asked questions for that Forum.

BC Ferries runs all year. It keeps its summer schedule until our Thanksgiving long weekend, the second Monday in October. Then it changes to less frequent sailings. It is considered the marine extension of our highway system. And I might add they would run out of tourists! without them.

There are 3 popular areas on VI that most people like to visit. 1) the South Island including Victoria, the Sooke coastline (Pacific Marine Circle Route), and even up as far as the Nanaimo/Parksville/Qualicum Beach area. 2) the Tofino/Ucluelet area in Pacific Rim National Park and 3) the North Island around Pt. McNeill and Telegraph Cove.

I would say 7 days for the most conventional interests would not be enough and you would have to make some choices. Perhaps 2-3 nights in Victoria, 3 nights in the Tofino area and 2-3 nights for the North Island. But I notice that you will be here right at the end of the tourist season. Most but not all attractions finish their season at the end of September. Then factor in your travel time around the Island as well as for getting to/from Vancouver or Seattle.

The Island is quite big. It's about half the size of the main island of Tasmania. From Victoria to the North Island it takes about 6 hours non stop driving. From Victoria to Tofino, about 5 hours non stop driving. The Pacific Marine Circle Route would take about 5 hours non stop. Depending on where you are coming from and where you are going to regarding VI, most of us would give you custom advice to help you streamline your travel time, which is why outlining your itinerary would be a good idea.

You can order a free map online on Hello BC www.hellobc.com:

hellobc.com/en-CA/…BritishColumbia.htm

Another website I like to recommend is

http://vancouverisland.com/regions/

Also, maps.google.com is particularly helpful with driving routes, distances and times. It is also great for Van/Vic walking distances and Van/Vic transit information.

For paper maps, drop in to your local Aus Automobile Association. Non members usually have to pay for maps but they should have a BC version. Or head to your biggest chain bookstore and find the map department.

I hope some of this information is helpful. But again, fill us in a bit more if you will.

Edited: 11 March 2011, 05:15
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,201 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 day drive vancouver island

This might give you a visual of the area as well.

http://tinyurl.com/6autkjq

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
2,768 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 day drive vancouver island

I got an excellent driving map thru AAA's affiliation with the CAA. I would think if you go to your Australian Assc they may be able to acquire it for you. If not, there are plenty of CAA offices on the island you could get one at. Also Amazon.com has 2 or three good ones of the island, that run about $6-$11.

It is a very beautiful and diverse island. You'll wish you had more than 7 days.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,491 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 day drive vancouver island

Sept is usually a good time for bear watching as they are feeding in the rivers.

Owen Sound, Canada
Level Contributor
628 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 day drive vancouver island

What are your interests?

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 7 day drive vancouver island

thank you all for the info we are determined to see as much as we can

so it looks as if we will be doing 10 days instead of the 7

my wife and i we are fit but not into rambo activites

we both love walks beautifull scenery and drives wife loves gardening

i stay out the road and admire

we both love a good pub with atmosphere and good beer and food

both intersted in seeing the bears feeding as long as it not us

would love to drive and see as much as the island as possible we know its the end of the tourist season but hopefully everything not closed we are 61 and 58 years old so any help and info would be great

thakyou

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,201 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 7 day drive vancouver island

At the top of the list of topics on the British Columbia Forum there is a Sticky for a Trip Report Collection. There are quite a few TRs that cover Vancouver Island. Here's the link:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g154922-i80-k42028…

9. Re: 7 day drive vancouver island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 16:18