We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Port Hardy to Vancouver - one way

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Port Hardy to Vancouver - one way

Hello Forum!

My wife and I are planning a trip through parts of West Canada. The last part is arriving into Port Hardy on the BC ferry and heading off back to Vancouver during roughly 3 days.

I'm trying to find rental car companies in Port Hardy that would let me hire a car for this one way route but the charges are obscene. Round about $197 for the hire itself + $300 (!) for the drop off in Vancouver. Adding taxes this is nearly $600 for a 2-3 days hire, nightmare!

Which advice would you have to do this route? Googling I just found 2 hire companies: Budget and National. Budget seemed not to have cars available for this, and National gave me the crazy rates above...

Would you rather just fly out to Vancouver? Will we miss much by not being on the road? :-(

Many thanks in advance,

--

Julio.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,757 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Port Hardy to Vancouver - one way

Since you just want to get to Vancouver flying is your best option-the bus + ferry + bus will take most of a day.

Nothing is cheap though-even a cab to the Port Hardy airport will be at least $20.

Edited: 03 April 2011, 20:16
Port McNeill
Level Contributor
469 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Port Hardy to Vancouver - one way

Budget and National are the only 2 car rental companies in Port Hardy.

Flying to Vancouver is your best option. Pacific Coastal Airlines http://www.pacific-coastal.com/ has some good fares right now between Port Hardy and Vancouver. I found a number of flights for $99 ($131.15 with taxes and charges) for a lot of dates this summer. For these fares you need to book early.

I would suggest spending the 2 or 3 days you were going to spend getting to Vancouver on northern Vancouver Island (Port Hardy, Port McNeill, Telegraph Cove, Alert Bay). Great wildlife viewing up here. A car is still your best option for getting around while you are here but at least you would not have the high drop off fess. Budget car rental rates start about $55/day (closer to $75 after fees and taxes).

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Port Hardy to Vancouver - one way

Hello both!

Many thanks for your input, flight already booked! :-)

Any recommendation for accomodation at Port Hardy? :)

Cheers!

--

Julio.

4. Re: Port Hardy to Vancouver - one way

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 11:16
Get answers to your questions about Vancouver Island