We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling from Vancouver to Port Hardy in October

Bristol, UK
Level Contributor
56 posts
148 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling from Vancouver to Port Hardy in October

We will be catching the ferry from Vancouver to Nanaimo and then driving north, looking for somewhere to stay, then heading on up to Port Hardy, in the hopes of getting there in the early afternoon (maybe with a few stops to look at the scenery!)

Can anyone suggest a good place to stay along the way? We would be getting an arfternoon ferry, probably getting into Nanaimo after 5 (ferries permitting!!) but dont mind driving for a few hours to get somewhere nice (trees, peace and quite, the sea, etc etc)

Cheers!

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling from Vancouver to Port Hardy in October

Hey myriad -

By October our days are getting shorter - you might want to get an earlier ferry if sightseeing is important -- I'll leave it to locals to give you hotel references

parksville
Level Contributor
418 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling from Vancouver to Port Hardy in October

depending which ferry you take (duke point or horseshoe bay) parksville is about 45 minutes north and has wonderful beaches and lots of hotels/motels.

you will find great rates here in October.

Bristol, UK
Level Contributor
56 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling from Vancouver to Port Hardy in October

Cheers!

I think that we will be sailing from Horseshoo Bay, and planning to get somewhere nice in the evening, then have a nice early moring start.

Victoria BC
Level Contributor
170 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling from Vancouver to Port Hardy in October

We have stayed at the Ships Point Inn (http://www.shipspointinn.com/) which is far enough north of Nanaimo that you can get to Port Hardy in the early afternoon. This is a purpose built B&B, perched over the water, and the rooms are very nice. If you check a map of the north island, you will find this place just south of where the ferry leaves for Denman and Hornby islands.

Bristol, UK
Level Contributor
56 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling from Vancouver to Port Hardy in October

Thanks, Ive had a look at the web site, it looks fab!

Comox,British...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling from Vancouver to Port Hardy in October

Hi Myriad

It just depends how far you want to drive after the ferry,but if you were considering driving up Island for an hour & a half then I would reccommend the Kingfisher Resort and Spa in the Comox Valley.From there the next day you are 3 1/2 hrs to Port Hardy.Or stay in Parksville as was sugested in other posts,I would suggest Pacific Shores.On your way up stop at the Seymour Narrows look out,it is just a pullout right on the highway,from there you will be driving with not much to see except for mountains,lots of trees, a few lakes etc.I would suggest to stop in to Telegraph Cove just before you get to Port McNeill, it is a neat little spot only about 15-20 min. from highway.Have a great trip to the Island