We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

vancouver island itinerary

Whidbey Island...
Level Contributor
28 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
vancouver island itinerary

I'm planning my first trip north of Victoria and am interested in visiting Tofino and Telegraph cove. Is this too ambitious for a 7 day trip; driving distance wise? Also, we're going in early May in an attempt to avoid summer crowds. Are restaurants/outfitters going to be open?

Comox,British...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: vancouver island itinerary

Hi Girlzinnia

This question depends on if like the variety and you dont mind driving.Your best entrance to the Island would be the Departure Bay Nanaimo ferry terminal.From there you are aprox. 4 hours to both destinations.You could go to Tofino for 3 nights and then take the 8 hour drive to Telegraph or vice versa,or stop in Parksville for an overnighter in between.In Telegraph on the boardwalk the Restaurant doesnt open until May.14,most of the accomadations have cooking facilities.You can google telegraph and it will show you who is and isnt operating.For Tofino most places are open and some outfitters.This is a great trip and you will experiance alot of the Island.I hope this helps.

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: vancouver island itinerary

girlzinnia

I don't know exactly where Clinton is - how for down state? If going to Anacortes isn't too far out of the way, I would suggest crossing to the Island from there, and heading north from Victoria. It will save you border time. If that's not feasible, the take the truck crossing at the border rather than use Peace Arch. It's not far out of the way, and will also save you border time.

Crossing directly to Victoria also saves you all the city driving to get to BC Ferries at Horseshoe Bay. The Victoria traffic situation can be bad, too, but generally less problematic than the Vancouver stuff.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,300 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: vancouver island itinerary

I was always under the impression that Clinton relatively close to Kamloops:

…clinton.bc.ca/images/map_region_cat_index.g…

Whidbey Island...
Level Contributor
28 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: vancouver island itinerary

Clinton is on the southern end of Whidbey Island so I'll definately take the ferry out of Anacortes. Thanks for the great info. It sounds like it would be more fun/relaxing to go to Tofino this trip and check out the Telegraph cove area another time. Then, when I win the lotto, quit my job etc. I'll take the ferry to Alaska for the summer! Thanks again

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,300 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: vancouver island itinerary

I feel silly now! I've actually been to Clinton on Whidbey Island, several times! For some reason I didn't even clue in that 1BCTraveler was refering to your home... I thought they were talking about Clinton, BC, which is also a small town. :)

Whidbey Island...
Level Contributor
28 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: vancouver island itinerary

don't feel too bad; i misplaced an entire state once. those easterners can be soooo touchy. really tho, how can we be expected to keep track of delaware:) thanks for all the great advice...