We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confused - so many places to go in so little time

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
565 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Confused - so many places to go in so little time

My husband and I spent our honeymoon visiting Vancouver, Victoria, Whistler and Seattle several years ago. Now we're thinking in returning next April with our (10&12) kids for 7 days.

He is dying to go to Tofino, for a couple of nights, so I need to plan around that. My kids are dying to see (and feel) some snow too, but I know we'll only find that in the mountains. I've been reading posts in the forum, so I'm aware of the travel distances.

So I'm thinking in 2 itineraries:

Itinerary #1. Fly to Vancouver, spend one night and head to Tofino to spend 2 nights. Then go to Whistler for 2 nights, and back to Vancouver for 2 nights.

Itinerary #2. Fly to Seattle (it's actually $100 usd cheaper per person than Vancouver) and stay 1 night, take the ferry to Victoria, spend 2 nights there, then go to Tofino for 2 nights and head back to Seattle via the Victoria-Seattle ferry. I need 1 night more in a different place here, but have no idea where. Last night will stay in Seattle.

My heart is in itinerary #1, but the traveling distance from Tofino to Whistler overwhelms me. I'm sure the view will be breathtaking, and we love to drive in Canada, but I'm not sure my kids will endure it.

Our budget is more in itinerary #2. I'm thinking hotels in the 100-120 usd dollar range (already checked).

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,676 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Confused - so many places to go in so little time

If snow is your goal, rather than Whistler specifically, then Mt. Washington solves all your problems. They had the most snow in Canada last year, so you should still be able to get close to some snow in April, even if the skiing is finished. As I understand it, they actually had to plow the snow off the mountain bike trails at Mt. Washington this spring so that they could open the bike season!

http://www.mountwashington.ca/

This way, you can stay on the island, going to and from Seattle as per itinerary 2. Do the walk on ferry and then rent a car on the island. You'll miss Vancouver, but we'll be here for your next trip. :>

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,676 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Confused - so many places to go in so little time

Hmm, for some reason they have a separate tourism website:

http://www.discovermountwashington.com/

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
565 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Confused - so many places to go in so little time

Thanks! I'll look into the links. Vancouverite6 you're right, I'll miss Vancouver, so I'll see if I can work with that option.

4. Re: Confused - so many places to go in so little time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 09 October 2011, 03:35
Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,474 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Confused - so many places to go in so little time

Absolutely go to Mt Washington instead of Whistler. It's much more bank book friendly, not far off the beaten path from Tofino back to Vancouver, is predicted to have the most snow again this year and there is lots to do in the Comox Valley/Campbell River area too.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,474 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Confused - so many places to go in so little time

BTW - there was still snow for skiing at Mt Washington in June this year! You should have no problem having a snowball fight in April :)

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
565 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Confused - so many places to go in so little time

Thanks!! still a lot to plan. We might push back the trip to 2013... oh well.

8. Re: Confused - so many places to go in so little time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 23:15