We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestion for a 6 day trip on Vancover island

Manchester
Level Contributor
15 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestion for a 6 day trip on Vancover island

Hi I would really appreciate your input and suggestions, I'm planning a 2 1/2 week trip to Canada, I have planned the first 7 days around the Rookies, but I really need some help with the Vancouver Island part, we plan to drive from jasper to either Horse Bay or Tsawwassen on the 24/6/2012 ( I know it is a very long drive but we have prepared ourselves for this and getting up early and going for it) then we have till the 30/6/2012 ( we can get a late ferry, so can spend the day on the island), I would really like to see Tofino and go Bear spotting, the rest I'm not sure about - Victoria, Nanaimo?

Any suggestion very much appreciated

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,018 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestion for a 6 day trip on Vancover island

Doing Jasper to Vancouver in one day will be quite an ordeal. I strongly suggest that you plan to spend that night on the mainland and then you can relax and have breakfast on an early ferry over in the morning. If you head to Tswwassen, then you can get a hotel 10 minutes from the ferry dock and be on the 7 am with no problems. Horseshoe Bay will be more difficult for you.

With 6 days and Tofino as a stated destination, you might do the following:

early ferry and a full day in Victoria, spend one night

set off and drive the Pacific Marine Circle Route up through Sooke, to Port Renfrew and then across to Duncan. Turn north and make your way towards Nanaimo. Stay on that section of coast somewhere (Ladysmith, Nanaimo, Parksville) one night

Next day drive to Tofino, arrive mid-afternoon. Spend 3 nights.

Hmmmm - one more night to play with....

You could add it to Victoria, there's certainly enough to see and do there.

You could spend it in Powell River. Drive from Tofino up to Courtenay, then ferry from Comox to Powell River, spend the night and then drive down to Vancouver via Sechelt the next day.

OR

1 night Victoria

Drive directly to Tofino, 3 nights

then head north up the island (Campbell River is probably the most realistic destination) and spend 2 nights, and have one full day out on the water on a bear watching trip.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
84 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestion for a 6 day trip on Vancover island

Parksville is a great place to visit, specifically Rathtrevor Park; walk the beach when the tide is out. You can walk for an hour without hitting the water's edge. There are a lot of great trails through the park.

Definitely Tofino. At least 2 full days, 3 if you can.

Hot Springs Cove.

French Beach

Sooke

Check out the link below for some ideas:

www.crd.bc.ca/seaparc/programs/trails.htm

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,743 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestion for a 6 day trip on Vancover island

Some practical information for you. It will take just over 12 hours driving, stops extra plus the wait for the ferry to go to either Nanaimo or Victoria in one day. Your choices of ferries for the Horseshoe Bay - Departure Bay run are 7h30 pm daily, 9h20 pm daily and 10h40 on June 24. From Tsawwassen - Swartz Bay and into Victoria your choices are 7 pm and 9 pm daily.

In June, the only place to view bears will be from the northern tip of Vancouver Island. Tide Rip will take you for a full day across to Knight Inlet on the mainland to see grizzlies. September is when the bear viewing season begins out of Campbell River.

So with 1 night on the mainland and an early ferry the next day you've got 5 days. 3 nights Tofino, 2 nights Telegraph Cove with Tide Rip. http://tiderip.com/ Can't advise after that as I don't know where you will be going after Tofino, although it seems you have 1/2 a week more somewhere. If you're coming over to Vancouver, I would take a day from that and stay in Nanaimo on the way to Van.

Are you familiar with driving on the right side of the road? Another huge consideration even when alert.

Let's say you stay in a motel/hotel in North Vancouver and head the next morning for Tofino, then Telegraph Cove, then Nanaimo, then Vancouver. Here is the map with driving distances and times for that plan:

http://g.co/maps/mhjm4

But I can't say you will actually enjoy this 6 day plan very much.

4. Re: Suggestion for a 6 day trip on Vancover island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 02:41