We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bear watching vancouver island

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
Bear watching vancouver island

Coming to Nanamio in august next year for 2 weeks. I want a day trip bear watching. I cant seem to find anything just for a day. Can anyone reccommend any company who does day trips.

thanks

Chris

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,566 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bear watching vancouver island

Tide Rip tours do day trips from Telegraph Cove. This is up island. I don't think you'll find anyone doing a tour out of Nanaimo as they would have to drive the 3 hours up island first Also you will have a better chance of seeing bears if you can go for more than one day as the trips are not always successful

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,470 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bear watching vancouver island

Is Nanaimo your only destination? Are you going anywhere else in BC? I'm not entirely sure about the bear population on Vancouver Island and what their status is, but I believe that the bear trips that run from further north actually cross Georgia Straight and go up the remote fjords on the mainland side to do their bear watching. Nanaimo is just too far from this area for this to be practical.

Bear tours from Squamish and Whistler on the mainland side may be more practical for you depending on the rest of your itinerary.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,936 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bear watching vancouver island

In August, the only place you could take a day trip to see grizzly bears is out of Telegraph Cove. TC is about 4 hours drive from Nanaimo. It's a full day because the boat takes you over to Knight Inlet on the mainland.

For Sept and October, there are bear tours out of Campbell River over to Bute Inlet on the mainland.

When conditions are right for salmon to head up river, there will be grizzlies.

As for black bears, I have not heard of any tours, but I understand there are some bears on the Island, possibly at the North Island, around Pt Hardy way.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,389 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Bear watching vancouver island

There are Black Bears tours out of Ucluelet & Tofino area-google is your friend.

The east side of Vancouver Island-where Nanaimo is located-is far too settled to appeal to ursines for long.

Edited: 06 September 2012, 02:59
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,955 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bear watching vancouver island

There are bears around Qualicum... you just seldom see them. I have only seen one running across the highway by Qualicum Beach, and that was 12 years ago. There was one on Hornby Island 9 years ago when we were there, but he had a low tide and swam over...He eventually had to be killed as he got into someone's sheep.

Do get back to us and let us know where else you may be visiting. With some more information, we will be able to give you better advice.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bear watching vancouver island

Thanks folks, for all your replys. We are based in Nanamio for the full 2 weeks as we are doing a "house exchange holiday"

( www. homeexchange.com ) this will be our 5th trip with them. 2 years ago we were in Vancouver at Kitzalano and whistler, but next year we will explore vancouver island.

It looks like we may have to do a couple of night on a bear watching trip. I saw the company that operates out of Tofino. so I will look at that again.

Thanks again for your help

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,566 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bear watching vancouver island

Your drive time to Tofino will be about the same as drive time to Telegraph Cove so I'd check out both places for tours.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,955 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bear watching vancouver island

More to see and do in Tofino though, than Telegraph Cove. That is, if you are willing to stay a night in Tofino. Just the drive TO Tofino has some wonderful stops along the way. Mind you, most of them you could do as a day trip from Nanaimo very easily.

Coombs is just 35 minutes away, Little Qualicum Falls just 45 minutes.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,936 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bear watching vancouver island

IMO, you will want to base your bear tour experience on the best tour offering for bears. You can get to Tofino from Nanaimo and back in a day, if you really wanted to, and you could see quite a bit along Hwy 4 from Nanaimo/Parksville on day trips from Nanaimo.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,363 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bear watching vancouver island

Unless of course you would like to kayak with orcas which would be out of Telegraph Cove as well. Telegraph Cove is a really unique little place but very spendy to stay for the night. You can stay in Port MacNeil and drive to Telegraph Cove for a bear trip or an orca trip.