We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 days on vancouver island's east coast in winter

Grenoble, France
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
4 days on vancouver island's east coast in winter

Hi there!

I will be in BC with my girlfriend in decembre. We plan to go from Victoria to Port Hardy to take the inside passage ferry. Here is the question:

We will leave Victoria the morning of decembre 18th, and have to be in Port Hardy the evening of dec 21st. That leaves us four days and three nights to tour the east coast of VI. We will be traveling by bus. But where to stop?

I already noted Parksville - Qualicum beach, courtenay - comox, and Campbell river (as Telegraph cove is, if I'm not mistaken, not accessible by bus).

We are not hikers, especially in winter, we don't ski either, but we are interested in a day bike ride around one of the above city, either in a park, on an Island, or along the coast...

Any advice? Any place we should skip or focus on?

We already went to Nanaimo, Tofino and Ucluelet last year, so we are not planning to go there again.

Thanks!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,234 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 days on vancouver island's east coast in winter

As you are travelling by coach, you will need to check the Greyhound schedule very carefully and make plans accordingly. As well, you will be restricted in getting around the cities you mention. Are you looking for 3 nights in one city? or 1 night in more than one city?

www.greyhound.ca

Nanaimo is a nice city. There are a number of things to do there.

www.youtube.com/watch…

Parksville has big beaches and some hiking/walking in Rathtrevor Provincial Park.

You can take Greyhound to Campbell River but not neighbouring Comox Campbell River has a pretty interesting estuary, although what it will be like in winter, I don't know. And you would need to arrange a taxi I would think. Campbell River has a good little museum as well:

http://www.crmuseum.ca/

campbellriver.ca/CityHall/Departments/Sustai…

trailpeak.com/trail-Campbell-River-Estuary-n…

Sunrise will be 8h00 am and sunset 4h15 pm on Dec. 21st.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,259 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 days on vancouver island's east coast in winter

http://www.maritimeheritagecentre.ca/

Grenoble, France
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 days on vancouver island's east coast in winter

Thanks!

Port McNeill
Level Contributor
466 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 days on vancouver island's east coast in winter

As Mufit mentions the Greyhound does not stop in Comox. However, it does stop in nearby Courtenay. North of Campbell River there is only one bus a day.

FYI there will be absolutely nothing open in Telegraph Cove at that time of year

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,234 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 days on vancouver island's east coast in winter

I just want to check something about the ferry for the Inside Passage. You are planning to take "the" ferry from Port Hardy to Prince Rupert on Saturday Dec 22, departing at 7h00 pm, is that correct?

Greyhound's current schedule leaves Campbell River daily at 2h15 pm, arriving at 5h40 pm. Greyhound has also applied to authorities to reduce service on Vancouver Island but that probably won't happen before the new year.

Courtenay has a small, interesting museum with a focus in Paleontology:

http://www.courtenaymuseum.ca/

Of the towns you have mentioned, you will find public transit available in some form in Nanaimo, Campbell River, Courtenay-Comox, Parksville-Qualicum Beach and perhaps more. I didn't check other towns.

http://bctransit.com/

Sorry to highlight Nanaimo, it's just that the 4 cities with the greatest population are Nanaimo (83,000), Campbell River (31,000), Courtenay (24,000) and P-ville (12,000) and these are the places which will have the most amenities and very likely the most chance of having public transit, making it somewhat easy to get around.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,688 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 days on vancouver island's east coast in winter

If you didn't want to stay in Nanaimo again, Duncan would be another option. There is the tour for the totem poles, and when you get OFF the highway that goes through the town, there are some nice shops in the town center.

Qualicum Beach is a great stop too. There is actually a public transit bus that goes from Nanaimo to QB as a regular run. The village will be decorated for Christmas, and it is easy to walk everywhere in Qualicum. It is bus #90 that gets you all the way to QB.

Parksville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 days on vancouver island's east coast in winter

Sorry I've left this so late, but there is an alternative to Greyhound. It's "Island Link" - they run a very reliable passenger van service between Victoria and Campbell River with lots of stops in between. Their schedule may (or may not!) suit you better than Greyhound. islandlinkbus.com

bon voyage!

8. Re: 4 days on vancouver island's east coast in winter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 10:16