We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking to cape scott lighthouse.

Bruges, Belgium
5 posts
Save Topic
Hiking to cape scott lighthouse.

Hello,

Me and a friend are going to Vancouver Island for the first time in september 2013. We are from Belgium.

We're going by camper (c25) and would like to know how close we can get to cape scott lighthouse by camper. How far do the roads go and how far do we have to go on foot?

We have no hiking experence and are not sure what equipment we need to do the hike. How long will the hike take us? Do we need some kind of protection against animals?

Thank you for your help.

Theo De Vriese

Victoria Pier
Lighthouses, Piers & Boardwalks
Sidney's Beacon Park
Lighthouses, Piers & Boardwalks, Points of Interest & Landmarks, Lookouts
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,665 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking to cape scott lighthouse.

HI Theo,

I've done this hike twice, although a long time ago.

The return trip to the lighthouse is 50 km. I did see a group of trail runners do it in one day, but this is typically a multi-day trip and I would not recommend it as your first wilderness back packing experience. It takes a few trips to get the food and packing right, and you want to be within 10 km of the car while you work those things out.

You could do the hike from the parking lot out to San Josef bay, which is less than an hour.

Its a lovely spot, but the first 8 km of the trail are particularly difficult and notoriously muddy. You have bears and cougars out there and your food is a serious attractant, so you need to know how to pack to minimize that risk. This is not a beginners activity. I don't know if anyone does it as a guided trip, but if you can find something like that, that would be your better choice.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
62 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking to cape scott lighthouse.

Cape Scott Provincial Park is an amazing place BUT.....this is a seriously challenging area and is not recommended for first-timers or people with little or no backcountry experience.

The best info is here: …gov.bc.ca/bcparks/…hiking.html

As already noted, there are many trails in the area (like San Josef Bay) that are more accessible and shorter duration, and still provide a taste of the rugged coastal trails and amazing scenery. You may also want to check out the water taxi pick up/drop off options.

The Port Hardy Visitor Center would have information on guided trips, transportation options, etc.

Good luck!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,665 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking to cape scott lighthouse.

something like this might be better suited to your skills and abilities

http://www.getwest.ca

http://www.quatsinoecotours.com/index.html

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,250 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking to cape scott lighthouse.

With your lack of experience, the fact that you have a motorhome and you'll be on Vancouver Island, I think Forbidden Plateau in Strathcona Provincial Park near Courtenay is your best bet.

You can drive up the hill to the parking lot at the trailhead. Fantastic views to the Mainland from there. The trails are well marked, gorgeous and easily navigatable. Base yourself out of the motorhome and do daytrips.

Have a look at the link below. At the bottom of the web page is a section with maps and brochures of the various parts of the Park.

env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/strath/

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,173 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking to cape scott lighthouse.

In general, there is a minimum age of 25 for renting a vehicle here. A younger driver would be subject to buying further insurance, I believe, or even being denied.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,250 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiking to cape scott lighthouse.

I think Mufti the c25 reference was to a 25' C class motorhome.

BD

Port McNeill
Level Contributor
466 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiking to cape scott lighthouse.

If your goal is more to see the light house versus lots of hiking then you may consider a more accessible lighthouse like the one at Pultney Point on Malcolm Island.

You can take your RV on a ferry bcferries.com/schedules/…pmab-current.php from Port McNeill to Sointula vancouverislandnorth.ca/communities/sointula/ on Malcolm Island (about a 30 minute sailing). It is then a short drive to the Bere Point campsite www.rdmw.bc.ca/regional-services/parks/#1205 facing Queen Charlotte Strait.

From the campsite there are some nice day hikes along the beach and the Beautiful Bay trail. From here you may see whales. This is one of the few accessible beaches where orcas come to rub. From Bere Point it is a short drive to the western end of the island and from here you can take a short 5 minute, or less, trail to the beach and then walk along the beach toward the lighthouse. This link discusses some of the different trails on Malcolm Island sointulainfo.ca/island/island_attractions.ht…

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,173 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hiking to cape scott lighthouse.

Dave, I had a thought from reading the OP again that minimum age might be something the OP needs to be aware of. Nothing to do with the class of RV. The profile gives no information so I thought I would mention it.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,665 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hiking to cape scott lighthouse.

Oh wow Kk! I was so struck by that area when we were there in 2011. You have just given me a reason to return. That sounds fantastic!

Bruges, Belgium
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Hiking to cape scott lighthouse.

Yes indeed. Our camper is a C25.