We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trying to escape the crowds in July! Help!

Central New York
2 posts
Save Topic
trying to escape the crowds in July! Help!

Hello! My husband and I are planning a trip to Vancouver July 12-26, and we want to spend a few days on Vancouver Island. The west coast sounds wonderful -- Tofino sounds especially beautiful -- but we're also worried about the crowds. We're also considering going north to Telegraph Cove. We're looking for some peaceful, beautiful places (and unfortunately our lodging budgets are not enormous!). First, we're wondering how crowded does Vancouver Island get in mid-July? Are the roads okay-busy or stressful- busy? Is Tofino pleasantly crowded this time of year or unbearably crowded? Are there any more isolated spots on the island to check out? We're nature lovers, and I'll be five months pregnant (!), so we're hoping not to drive forever, and get some low-key hiking in, as well as ocean-gazing and relaxing. Any advice on places and/or accomodations would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,022 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: trying to escape the crowds in July! Help!

Look to Bamfield.

Comox,British...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,418 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trying to escape the crowds in July! Help!

Hi urbd

If you are coming to the Island for a few days it is a big trip in July,but not bad if you reserve a ferry space if you are driving.Thew est coast is awesome and yes that is peak season but it is not crazy busy as thre are alot of open spaces for people to be.I like Telegraph Cove the north Island tends to be not as busy but again you are in peak season but it is not wall to wall people for instance. If you were at Telegraph you can drive north and there is a great hike to San Josef bay very low key and beautiful.Telegraph Cove is aprox 4 1/2 hr drive from Nanaimo and the same to Tofino,I think to Telegraph is an easier drive.I hope this helps

Westcoast_Girl
Level Contributor
309 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trying to escape the crowds in July! Help!

Tofino IS beautiful, but can be busy in the summer. However, go anyways - it is SO worth it. You can also venture a bit more north on Vancouver Island, as it gets less and less populated north.

The roads are not crazy busy - but will be busier on weekends as mainlanders headover to camp, surf, etc. Be patient with the slow RV's on the windy road to Tofino! It is not unbearably crowded at all.

I love the Tofino/Ucluelet/hiking/springs/nature side of Vancouver Island. If you focus on that area, do some homework online and plan a bit ahead, you will have an amazing time.

Good luck!

Victoria BC
Level Contributor
170 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: trying to escape the crowds in July! Help!

Here ia an alternative to the west coast. It is a small collection of cabins and campsites at the mouth of a river, just north of Port McNeil. You can find it at http://www.cluxewe.com/. We stayed in one of the cabins - quite small, but sufficient. What they lack in size they make up in location - right on the ocean. We found some interesting hikes nearby, and you could visit Malcolm Island and the settlement of Sointula, or the First Nations settlement of Alert Bay. This is about as uncrowded as you can find on Vancouver Island in the summer.

Port Hardy North...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: trying to escape the crowds in July! Help!

We moved to Port Hardy on the tip of North Vancouver Island on the 22nd June 2005. Peace and tranquility reigns here. The west coast, Tofino etc is the busy side. Port Hardy has not been discovered yet so is still on the quiet side. Lots of interesting things to see and do . Whale watching, fishing, hiking, diving, bird watching, kayaking. Just being. Good bed and breakfast at reasonable rates. Friendly people. Nature lovers paradise.

Vancouver BC
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: trying to escape the crowds in July! Help!

Check out www.evergrenforestcabins.com we just spent three unbelievable days there . Looked at "cabins" at Snug Harbour Inn and these places were so much nicer . So private and amazinly quite . So private we used the private hot tubs naked!!!!!!!!!! Way cheaper than anything in its class, cant say enough good things about it . we are definately going again!

Vancouver BC
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: trying to escape the crowds in July! Help!

sorry its www.evergreenforestcabins.com my spelling is poor!

Vancouver Island, BC
Level Contributor
195 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: trying to escape the crowds in July! Help!

Snug Harbour Inn doesn't have "cabins"; they have two "rooms" that are in a cottage off of the main house. The rooms are not intended to be self-contained; it is more along the lines of a B&B that serves a full breakfast. The place you stayed at has self-contained cabins; you are basically on your own. I agree that the cabins look wonderful, but there really is no comparison between the two types of accommodation.

Ucluelet
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: trying to escape the crowds in July! Help!

Was just really happy , didnt mean a slight to Snug Harbour , thats one of the most beatiful buildings Ive been in , just really happy with our choice .

10. Re: trying to escape the crowds in July! Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2009, 18:20