We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bear Watching

Trowbridge, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Bear Watching

Hi

Finally found the right company for whale watching on my trip to Vancouver island in October, but i cant find a good tour mid October from Vancouver for bear watching. can anyone help?

Thanks

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,685 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Bear Watching

Out of Vancouver there are none @ any time of year-you might have some luck out of Whistler.

Also are you aware that Bears hibernate?

Newcastle Upon Tyne
Level Contributor
17 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bear Watching

There are a few companies on the island, we recently did one with Jamies Whaling Station in Tofino and saw 14 black bears

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bear Watching

We have been considering Vancouver Island for some years now, having been to Yellowstone Park twice we feel we aught to try somewhere else for wildlife spotting. What I can't seem to find out is weather or not you can go bear watching on your own, or is it only possible (due to their location), with an organised trip? In Yellowstone you can drive round, park in the pull offs and sit and wait with your spotting scopes for as long as you like. The thought of being tied to a tour operator's schedule and paying for it doesn't appeal? Does anyone have any idea how it works in this location?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,123 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bear Watching

Grizzly bears are found on the mainland of BC. There is none on the Island. So it involves taking a boat ride for 3-4 hours, to spend 3 hours watching the bears and then coming back to the Island at the end of the day. For example, on the following map, the boats that leave balloon D take people to balloon B, and the boats that leave balloon A take people to balloon C. Not something people can do on their own.

http://goo.gl/maps/BSg8J

From Tofino, you can again take a boat tour to see black bears. It's the only way you could access their playground.

Ask the tour operator about recent sightings before you drop the money. Bears do what bears do, they don't "set the table" for human visitors.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
12,012 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bear Watching

As well there are generally no roads into a lot of the bear habitat.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Bear Watching

Hello,

Are you hoping to see black bears of grizzly bears? There are a number of places on Vancouver Island that offer tours including Tofino, Campbell River, and Telegraph Cove.

What city will you be going whale watching in? Perhaps we could help to suggest something that is close by?

If you find yourself driving through Nanaimo make sure you stop in for a delicious Nanaimo Bar treat!

Hope you have an awesome trip to the Island!

:)

Trowbridge, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bear Watching

Hmmmmm

Thanks for all this, we are actually staying at Vancouver itself with one night in Victoria for the whale watching, so i don't think its going to be practical with my time-scale or location, I guess we might see something in Yosemite as further south maybe they might hibernate later and we are there later in the trip

Thanks

Shane

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
14,157 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Bear Watching

Hi.

You'll be lucky to see a bear in Yosemite, particularly if you don't stray from the main visitor areas, its not impossible, but it's not like Yellowstone. I've only ever seen one in Yosemite, but maybe 50-60 times that number in twice as many visits to Yellowstone.

They post details of where the recent reported bear activity has been, mostly related to incidents involving food around campsites and the Rangers work hard at keeeping them away from the busy areas.

www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/bearfacts.htm

9. Re: Bear Watching

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2014, 06:25