We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quinsam River Hatchery - Campbell River

Crawley, United...
13 posts
Save Topic
Quinsam River Hatchery - Campbell River

I shall be travelling from Tofino to Cambell River where I have booked up a tour for one of the days I have.

I am however looking looking for any ideas regarding a suitable stop off to break the journey up. I am particulary interested in Bird and Wildlife photography so any suggestions would be very welcome.

Once in Cambell River I have approximately a day and a half whereby I have nothing as yet planned.

Once again I am looking for suitable sites or suggestions on where to visit.

I have heard mention of Quinsam River Hatchery - is this somewhere that might be productive for bird photography and worth a visit ?

Any feedback or any other suggestions for sites in the area ( or within an hours drive) most appreciated.

Thanks

SpringTide Whale Watching & Charters
Boat Tours, Eco Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Nature & Wildlife Tours
A Taste of Victoria Food Tours
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours
Bike Tours Victoria BC
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Bike Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Qualicum Beach
Level Contributor
3 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quinsam River Hatchery - Campbell River

I would skip Campbell River and head further north to go whale watching out of Alert Bay with Seasmoke Whale Watching - on a sailboat! Great experience, lots of wildlife and travel with David and Maureen Towers, who have been doing the tours in the area for 27 years and know everything about the area. Nice small group to travel with, too, not like the boats that take out 30 or 40 people at a time. When we went there were eight passengers. They also pick up from Alder Bay (on Vancouver Island) if you don't want to take the ferry across to Alert Bay from Port McNeill. Great trip, and worth the little bit of extra time and trouble to get there. You might be tempted to go to Telegraph Cove, but unless you have very deep pockets and are willing to pay even for parking, would advise against that.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,938 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Quinsam River Hatchery - Campbell River

Do a float of the Campbell River-no place like it!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php…

http://www.destinyriver.com/

Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,512 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quinsam River Hatchery - Campbell River

Quinsam River Hatchery is about a 10 minute drive outside Campbell River, but worth a tour. The tours Sam suggested is also worthwhile right now as fish are returning to the rivers. (snorkel with salmon) There are a lot of eagles around Campbell River so you will for sure get photos of them. A walk around the Campbell River Estuary can often be teeming with birds and other wildlife. There is a free shuttle boat from Painters Lodge to their sister resort at April Point on Quadra Island. You may get to see orcas or sea lions if you were to do that. No guarantees, but you never know!! If you are interested in history of the area both the Campbell River Museum and the Maritime Heritage Centre are a wealth of information. There is a short video at the Museum on the blowing up of Ripple Rock - the largest man made non-atomic explosion in the world. The Maritime Heritage Centre displays the BCP 45 which is the seine boat pictured on the reverse of the Canadian $5 in the mid-1970s. A walk on the new Canyon View Trail may get you some nice pictures as well.

4. Re: Quinsam River Hatchery - Campbell River

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Vancouver Island