We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vancouver Island End of September

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Vancouver Island End of September

Hi,

we've never been to Vancouver Island.

We arrive from Europe on 27 Sep in Seattle, take our rented car and drive to the Anacortes-Sidney Ferry. From there the idea is, to visit Victoria and Tofino.

The question is, is Victoria or Tofino better for watching gray whales during that time?

Or should we take the journey and head north to Port McNeill or Port Hardy to do the whale watching there?

Thanks for your answers.

Edited: 09 September 2013, 14:53
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
4,116 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Vancouver Island End of September

Tofino would be the spot for grey whales, they're mainly found on the west coast of the island and yes some would be around in September. Whale watching in Victoria, and if I'm not mistaken Port Hardy, would be for orcas (killer whales).

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,926 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Vancouver Island End of September

Out of Victoria should be lots of Orcas-from Tofino all kinds of Humpback Whales in September.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
62,247 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vancouver Island End of September

Welcome to the forum, R_Stu:

I like what Jamies Whale Watching describes about the what and when of whales on Vancouver Island in the following information:

http://jamies.com/site/whale-watching.html

How many nights will you have? It takes about 7 hours to drive south end to north end and about 3 hours to drive from east side to west side. Hopefully you have minimum 3 nights on Vancouver Island.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vancouver Island End of September

Thanks for the link, MufiMixandmatch,

we planned to be five nights in Vancouver Island.

I guess that would leave us with time to visit the south extensivly

or rush and include the north.

I guess, we decide once we get there and see how the weather is and how we like the places...

One more question: Is it neccessary to make a reservation for the Anacortes to Sidney Ferry? I am not fully sure, which day we take the ferry.

Thanks again

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
62,247 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vancouver Island End of September

Yes, it might be wise to make a reservation for the US Anacortes ferry if you are sailing on a Friday or Sunday, the busy days. You must be at the ferry terminal 60 minutes in advance to go through US Customs pre-clearance before boarding. You will see the departure time during your time of September for the Anacortes ferry is 8h30 am. That's your only choice. You may wish to stay in Anacortes the night before in order to catch the ferry more conveniently. A reservation needs to be made at least 2 hours ahead of sailing.

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/

wsdot.com/ferries/…

6. Re: Vancouver Island End of September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2014, 06:24