We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale watching

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Whale watching

We will be visiting Vancouver Island from July 5-July 12 with our four children. We are interested in taking them on a whale watching excursion. We will be staying three days in Victoria and three days in Ucluelet. I've read the information on the Top Questions page but I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if that's too early in the season to see them and if not, which area would be best to leave from?

Thank you!

Sarah

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,975 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whale watching

There are resident pods of orcas in the Victoria area. And the boats do communicate with each other, so they are easier to find. Also, some of the tours guarantee a whale sighting. That means, you have to be around to rebook a tour. You have three days, so it may work to your advantage. Just book the tour on your first day there, so if you don't see any, at least you have some time to rebook.

Whale watching in Ucluelet area is mostly other species, grey whales, some humpbacks, and possibly orcas again.

Have you checked the prices yet? Which area gives you a better deal? With four kids, I'd be looking at the prices and factoring that into my decision.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,975 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whale watching

http://www.hellobc.com/victoria.aspx

I was looking for something else, but came across this website. I am not sure if there is an expiry date or not, but if you click on the third one, it is for whale watching, $10.00 off. I believe it is for the Prince of Wales. Not sure if you get $10.00 off each person or not, but it may be worth checking out.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
3,958 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Whale watching

From what I've seen, whale watching operators in Ucluelet/Tofino would offer a similar guarantee. There are resident grey whales in that area all summer.

So yes, the biggest difference is species -- whale watching out of Victoria would be for orcas, out of Ucluelet the most likely sighting would be grey whales followed by humpbacks and then (less likely) orcas.

4. Re: Whale watching

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 31 January 2014, 10:35
Edited: 31 January 2014, 10:35
5. Re: Whale watching

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2015, 05:18