We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short holiday from Vancouver in early april with a baby

Bruges, Belgium
11 posts
Save Topic
Short holiday from Vancouver in early april with a baby

We are looking at spending around 8 days in the Vancouver area, in early april. We will be traveling with a one year old baby boy.

We usually travel around and never stay more than one or two nights in the same place, but with a baby, this is a hassle, so either we would be looking at staying in max 2 places, or renting an RV. The latter might be a bit too early in the season?

And of course: what would be a nice trip to do from Vancouver? We like nature and wildlife. We'd love to see some bears, although again, probably too early in the season?

Holland
Level Contributor
567 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Short holiday from Vancouver in early april with a baby

Just to get a better picture and better advice: do you fly from Belgium to Vancouver and back out of Vancouver after 8 days or is this part of a bigger trip and if so where will you be first and after ?

Have you been to Vancouver area before ?

Edited: 26 January 2014, 16:41
Holland
Level Contributor
567 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Short holiday from Vancouver in early april with a baby

Just to get a better picture and better advice: do you fly from Belgium to Vancouver and back out of Vancouver after 8 days or is this part of a bigger trip and if so where will you be first and after ?

Have you been to Vancouver area before ?

Edited: 26 January 2014, 16:42
Bruges, Belgium
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Short holiday from Vancouver in early april with a baby

We will be spending four to five days in Calgary first (where my wife has to attend a conference). So we would be looking at Belgium - Calgary - Vancouver - Belgium

and it will be our first visit to Canada! We have been to Alaska (in winter...) and NW US before though

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,824 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Short holiday from Vancouver in early april with a baby

You could very nicely do 3 nights in Vancouver, 2 nights in Victoria, 1-2 nights up Island in Parksville or Nanaimo and a final night in Vancouver before your flight out.

Victoria has whale watching tours. That will be cold in April on the water. There is a petting farm in Beacon Hill Park that is a dream for kids. No bears - out of season for those tours. However, there are two captive grizzlies at the top of Grouse Mountain. Coola and Grinder may be awake in April.

Lots to stop for on the way up to Parksville or Nanaimo. P'ville is laid back with a big sandy beach, close to Coombs Market and the goats on the sod roof. Nanaimo is an historic city in BC with a waterfront walk and Newcastle Island Park. A bit lively with the downtown aspect. P'ville has more of a town atmosphere.

If you go to the Victoria Forum and look in the Top Questions, you will find an article on "day trip" attractions to visit between Vic and P'ville.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,177 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Short holiday from Vancouver in early april with a baby

I recall your original post, where you had originally planned to do an RV trip in the Rockies in April, but your main goal was to experience nature, as I believe you are biologists... and in the Rockies, the nature is still covered in snow.

If biology and nature are major interests, I would highly encourage to spend some of this time at Pacific Rim National Park so that you can experience the ancient temperate rainforest ecosystem - an ecosystem you will not find on the eastern side of Vancouver Island. Even with a baby, there are short, easy walks you can do to experience this area - it's all fairly easy to access. I'm also big into nature, and this part of Vancouver Island never ceases to amaze me. It's an area where you don't need to stay busy to appreciate it - it's all about relaxing and taking in the nature.

Here are some photos I took during a visit in February 2008:

flickr.com/photos/…

I find this photo really gives you a sense of the geography of this region:

tourismtofino.com/files/styles/medium/public…

For the east coast of Vancouver Island, I would look into spending a night at Nanaimo's Living Forest RV Park - it's an RV park built into the forest, overlooking the water. It's a spectacular area: http://www.livingforest.com/

Edited: 26 January 2014, 21:44
Holland
Level Contributor
567 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Short holiday from Vancouver in early april with a baby

Thanks for your additional info.

Regarding your flights: I assume you are aware you can book multiple-destination-tickets, making Calgary -Vancouver part of your international ticket.

I would not rent an RV, not because of the season, but because it will be too much of a hassle and too time consuming to pick up and return, especially if you plan to stay a few nights in Vancouver.

Much easier to pick up a rental car once you are leaving Vancouver (no need for a car in Vancouver) and drop off at the airport on your departure day.

I would suggest 3 nights Vancouver, 3 nights Tofino / Ucluelet, 1 night Nanaimo or Vancouver airport hotel, depending your departure time.

Having a backpack carrier for your baby would allow you to do some hiking as most paths in Pacific Rim are not stroller friendly.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Short holiday from Vancouver in early april with a baby

you say you are "considering"...your flight schedule. you could do a few nights in vancouver if you want to see the city...or, if you don't care about the city, you could fly directly from calgary to victoria. having said that, the ferry ride from tsawwassen (outside of vancouver) to victoria is beautiful. there are also ferrys from the mainland to nanaimo on victoria island...haven't taken these so don't know if they are as scenic. but, i would recommend the tofino/ucuellette are. we rented a nice condo on chesterman beach. full kitchen, bbq, watched the surfers, walked on the beach. if you went to the parksville area...ocean sands resort was really nice...right on a great beach with significant tides...has a pool (although i don't know if it functioning in april). nice day trips to cathedral park...out to hornby island and numberous other places.

8. Re: Short holiday from Vancouver in early april with a baby

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2015, 06:17