We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Victoria/Vancouver holiday

Warwickshire
Level Contributor
73 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Victoria/Vancouver holiday

Hi

I,m Staying in Victoria for 2 weeks in Sept. Thanks to some advice from you guys, I have a partial plan.

I plan to spend 4 days at the Pacific rim, staying in Ucluelet or Tofino area, to see see bear, Whales and landscape.

I'm staying in Victoria as a holiday home exchange, so obviously I don't want to spend more money on hotels, than I have to. I also don't want the base to hold me back from seeing the sights.

I'm in to my photography, so I want to see landscape wildlife and some cityscape.

1. Can you recommend good companies for Bear and Whale tours.

2. Any other must see, in the Pacific rim area.

3. Can I do day trips from Victoria to Vancouver, without spending most of the day travelling to/from home base.

4. What options for days out from Victoria

I will have a car .

thanks

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,436 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Victoria/Vancouver holiday

For Vancouver, you'll want to spend 3-4 nights there. Stay in a hostel if you want to cut back on accommodation cots. Doing day trips from Vancouver to Victoria is like doing day trips from Blackpool to Dublin - it's not a commute you'll want to do repeatedly in a week. It takes 3-4 hours by car/ferry one way, or a 30 minute flight each way.

For Tofino/Ucluelet, look into Jamie's Whaling Station. Consider a trip to Hot Springs Cove. Definitely go for a hike along Rainforest Trails A & B in Pacific Rim National Park.

For Victoria day trips, be sure to visit Juan de Fuca Provincial Park, which is about a 2 hour drive west. Goldstream Provincial Park would also be an excellent quick retreat into the forest.

Edited: 29 January 2014, 20:44
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,436 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Victoria/Vancouver holiday

(Blackpool? Maybe I meant Liverpool... but you get what I mean) ;) I imagine that nobody in England does day trips back and forth to Dublin. Likewise, spend your time on Vancouver Island... and when you're ready to visit Vancouver, stay put in Vancouver for those few days.

Edited: 29 January 2014, 20:48
SE Ontario
Level Contributor
20,133 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Victoria/Vancouver holiday

Consider a day trip to one of the Gulf Islands - Saltspring has an amazing Saturday market. Also venture out to Sooke and East Sooke Park, Brentwood Bay.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,436 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Victoria/Vancouver holiday

For the Gulf Islands, I'm partial to Galiano for its photogenic beauty, especially along Montague Harbour Provincial Park, and the top of Mount Galiano. :) Either way, you're going to have to choose carefully for your holiday - you could spend months here and not see it all!

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
14,792 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Victoria/Vancouver holiday

For Pacific Rim National Park

A park Day pass is good from the first morning until 4:00 pm the next day

If you plan right you can spend a day in Ucluelet doing the Wild Pacific trail etc...; and then another day whale watching in Tofino without having to go into the Park. there is no pass required for the road in between Ukee and Tofino. So you can get most done with a 1 day pass.

there is more than one access to Long Beach. each one offers different photo ops. for example see flickr.com/photos/…

if you are flexible on when you are going to Tofino these are the tide tables. Look for tides in the range of 8-10 ft. which will give you better waves crashing on rocks shots. www.dairiki.org/tides/monthly.php/tof/2014-09

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,286 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Victoria/Vancouver holiday

Personally I would recommend a drive north to Telegraph Cove to go out with either Stubbs Island or RipTide to see whales and bears. Fantastic scenery.

For days out in Victoria also consider Whiffen Spit in Sooke, East Sooke Park for nice hikes, Sombrio Beach, French Creek out towards Port Renfrew and Olympic View Golf Course for it's beautiful views.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,357 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Victoria/Vancouver holiday

Biking pathways and trails: explorevancouverisland.com/Biking_Hiking_Van…

Kinsol Trestle: explorevancouverisland.com/Biking_Hiking_Van…

which is close to wineries in the Cobble Hill, Shawnigan area: http://www.islandnet.com/~victourism/mall/aavanisle/cowichan-valley-vineyards.htm

Google Maps has a great "get directions" feature for finding driving routes, distances and time:

maps.google.com

As a point of reference, Victoria > Nanaimo = 2 hours, Nanaimo > Telegraph Cove = 4 hours, Nanaimo > Tofino = 3 hours.

For Vancouver, take Harbour Air seaplane for 30 min, harbour to harbour, stay 1-2 nights. Take Pacific Coach Lines coach back to Victoria on the ferry, 4 hours journey all in.

www.harbour-air.com

www.pacificcoach.com

As you will see in the following link, the ferry goes through the interesting Active Pass between Galiano and Mayne Islands. Active Pass is a narrows and can stir up some water at times of day. As well, the west bound ferry often passes the east bound ferry at some part of Active Pass. Yawn for us, but quite interesting for visitors.

http://goo.gl/maps/HWn8O

Holland
Level Contributor
567 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Victoria/Vancouver holiday

Another day trip from Victoria could be to Duncan and Chemainus. for some cultural photography

Juan de Fuca PP was mentioned, there is a really nice hike from China beach day area to Mystic beach, great photo opportunities there.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,342 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Victoria/Vancouver holiday

From Victoria, you have most of the southern island accessible to you for day trips. You will not be short of explorations. For a start, familiarize yourself with the parks in the area - there are city parks, regional parks, provincial parks and a national park, so lots to explore.

https:/…parks-trails

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/

www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/bc/gulf/index.aspx

Just hitting at the highlights from these parks alone will take two weeks. One on my to do list is Sidney Spit, which can only be accessed by pedestrian ferry from Sidney.

sidney.ca/Visitors/…Sidney_Spit.htm

I would be a long day, but the Pacific Marine Circle Route would be a good one to do early in your trip, so that you can identify places you might want to return to during your stay.

http://www.pacificmarinecircleroute.com/

Vancouver is certainly doable as a day trip, although its a bit more manageable if you fly one way. With only one person, you might find its convenient and no more expensive to use PCL bus to get to Vancouver. Or drive as far as Swartz Bay and park the car there and use public transit to get into Vancouver from there. As noted, its a very long day and you would be better off spending a night.

Warwickshire
Level Contributor
73 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Victoria/Vancouver holiday

Guys

This is great information and very helpful. I'll plan for one or two day stop over in Vancouver.

The rest of the time I will spend on the island and do as many sights as I can.

Can anyone recommend good medium priced accommodation in in either Ucluelet, Tofino or Telegraph cove.

What about Campbell river for bear watching

Thanks

John

Get answers to your questions about Vancouver Island
Recent Conversations