We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary for one week in late June - early July

Montreal
Level Contributor
585 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary for one week in late June - early July

We are a family of four incl two girls ages 7 and 9. We are considering doing four days in Vancouver followed by 7 days on the Island.

With respect to the Island portion, what is our best homebase for looking for accomodation? The girls are not into any specific kind of sports it wil be more general sightseeing, beach walking and maybe some light hiking and biking.

We usually like to rent accomodation and self cater breakfast and lunch then go out for a nice dinner close by where we are staying.

Does that give enough of an idea for you to advise me on specific locations?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,175 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary for one week in late June - early July

Vancouver Island is vast enough to not really lend itself all that well to a "hub and spoke" approach. Not to say that people don't go and spend a week there, happens all the time, but you don't get to see the island, just the area where you have chosen to base yourself.

I'd say the most popular places for families to visit for a week at a time would be the Parksville area and perhaps around Victoria. People also spend a week out at Tofino, but its sufficiently isolated that it makes it difficult to go anywhere else. However, there is plenty to see and do around Tofino to make a week out there very enjoyable.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,773 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary for one week in late June - early July

+1 on The Parksville area. Big beaches. Rathtrevor Provincial Park. The Sand Sculpture competition close to that time. Coombs Farm Market with the goats on the roof. North Island Wildlife Rehab Centre. Mount Washington. Campbell River up Island for whale watching. Nanaimo down Island for lots of activities.

http://www.oldcountrymarket.com

http://www.parksvillebeachfest.ca

http://www.niwra.org

m.youtube.com/watch…

nanaimo.ca/assets/…NanaimoBarTrail.pdf

http://www.tourismnanaimo.com/cms.asp?wpID=9

3 nights in that area then 3 nights in Victoria.

Bug Zoo, Miniature World, Victoria Harbour ferry harbour tour, Beacon Hill Park with the petting farm, buskers at the Inner Harbour. Walking the pathway along The Gorge. Butchart Gardens with the Carousel.

Best to come back to Vancouver for your last night before your flight out. Make reservations for a place on the ferry.

www.bcferries.com

explorevancouverisland.com/Biking_Hiking_Van…

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
11,766 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary for one week in late June - early July

hi

I would recommend splitting between Victoria 3 nights and Ucluelet/Tofino (Pacifc Rim National Park) for 4 nights.

In Victoria there are a few place under vrbo.com that may work. In Ucluelet there are quite a few self catering places that will do 4 nights. the Ridge in Ucluelet is a good one if it is in your budget. There are also some cabins at Chesterman's and MacKenzie beach.

Ucluelet/Tofino have the option for a 1 day whale watching boat trip.

From Victoria to the west coast following #4a and #4 there should be stops along the way to see the goats on the roof of the Country Market in Coombs and the really big tree at Cathedral Grove Park. This is a link to some pictures of the Wild Pacific Trail in Ucluelet and beaches in the park to give you an idea http://tinyurl.com/p3rzlgu

Edited: 11 February 2014, 18:37
Montreal
Level Contributor
585 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary for one week in late June - early July

Thanks for all that great info Mufti.

One question - Our flight out of Van is at 4:45pm - should that not allow time to get there same day?

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
11,766 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary for one week in late June - early July

hi

if you decide to stay in Tofino you will not have enough time to make a 4:45pm flight to Vancouver on the same day/

Another option to look at is to start up around Nanaimo (Parksville or Tofino) by taking the Tsawwassen-Duke Point or Horseshoe Bay-Departure Bay ferry and then return via Victoria. Then you only have a 30-40 min drive to the ferry.

You want to make reservations for a real early ferry out of Swartz Bay and have refundable airline tickets as there is no guarantee the the ferry may not run into trouble or be delayed by a wind storm (we waited 6 hrs when the latter happened) which is why everyone recommends getting to the mainland the night before.. You can still get a full day in Victoria if you take a real late ferry and stay at the Coast Hotel in Delta which is 10 min from the ferry.

calgary
Level Contributor
3,941 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary for one week in late June - early July

It takes a total of four hours to get from the Island to Vancouver via ferry; personally I would spend my last night in Vancouver the night prior flight home. There is always a chance of something going wrong with the ferry - cancellations due to mechanical failures, ferry turning around due to passenger illness, etc. Doesn't happen often but it does happen.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,773 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary for one week in late June - early July

Hi Upup ~

Yes, you would have time from Parksville or from Victoria, but Tofino to YVR would take you about 7 hours to drive, including the ferry and the wait for the ferry.

The risk, as cruiseryyc has mentioned, is for something to go sideways with the ferry. It is an infrequent happening, but it does happen and you don't want to be waiting for the ferry if it "performs" a hard landing at the dock in front of you, nor do you want to be on the ferry if something mechanical goes sideways.

cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/propelle…

Or a cotter pin problem:

cbc.ca/news/canada/b-c-ferry-crash-blamed-on…

Montreal
Level Contributor
585 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary for one week in late June - early July

I have been going through various logistics and it is indeed complicated!

I think I may have a solution which will see us fly out of Victoria at 3pm to avoid the ferry back to Van.

With that in mind can someone give me an estimated driving time from Ucluelet to Victoria?

Thanks for all your help!

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary for one week in late June - early July

i love tofino area but it is very into nature and hiking...so for some children, it might get boring if they prefer towns/cities. i liked the ocean sands resort in parkville. an ocean view room, 2 bedroom suite which had the kitchen so we could cook breakfast and dinners there...enjoying the balcony and fabuous view. there is also a pool on the property. great beach. then we did a day trip to hornbey island...again, a nice beach, nice walking trails. cathedral grove is not too far. then, maybe your last night or two in victoria (although not one of my favorite places, especially for children)

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
10,926 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary for one week in late June - early July

Drive time Ucluelet to Victoria airport is about 4.5 hours with optimum traffic...so still at least 6 hours as you need to be at airport early and also to drop car.