We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

roads - RV accessable?

Toronto
Level Contributor
95 posts
104 reviews
Save Topic
roads - RV accessable?

We're considering renting an RV for the summer (because we like being close to nature and will not have our camping gear there) and are not sure how accessible the roads (or parking?) would be - especially on the Western side.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,749 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: roads - RV accessable?

There are only 3 paved routes that take you to WCVI all are RV accessable - #'s 14, 4 & 28.

http://www.drivebc.ca/

The others you might see on a map are more or less logging roads and Not Recommended.

So something like the Backroads map book would be of limited use for your trip.

www.backroadmapbooks.com/main/index.html

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,995 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: roads - RV accessable?

While there are some roads that are good gravel roads, I'm not sure I would feel OK about taking a rented RV on them, as Sam mentions. The smaller islands are good camping destinations, but getting an RV on and off the different islands can be expensive.

Did you have some specific destinations in mind?

Blind Bay, BC
Level Contributor
1,002 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: roads - RV accessable?

Here's the B.C. Ferry schedule & rates site to help you plan your trip :

www.bcferries.com/travel_planning/fares/

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,100 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: roads - RV accessable?

Be aware.. almost all rental rvs companies will not allow you to take them on gravel roads..

We owned an rv for years.. and rented them too.. and we definately do not recommend doing so..

However the island is large. there are many places that are accessible on paved roads Tofino comes to mind as a first must see !

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
4,054 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: roads - RV accessable?

If it's just a matter of driving Highway 4 across to Tofino/Ucluelet/Pacific Rim NP, you'll be fine in an RV, but PLEASE use the roadside pull-outs to let the more agile vehicles pass you!

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,100 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: roads - RV accessable?

Well really the "more agile" vehicles are usually speeding and tend to cause accidents.. so if RV is going speed limit the "more agile" vehicles should slow the heck down and smarten up. Most rvs can keep up just fine.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,674 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: roads - RV accessable?

Ditto tweedwolfscream, that highway can be a mess sometimes because lumbering RVs don't have the common courtesy to use the pull-outs and allow the backed-up traffic behind them to drive by.

Have fun.

Cheers,

Terry

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
4,054 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: roads - RV accessable?

From what I saw on that road, joan1, there are sections where an RV would not be going at the posted limit. And when they won't use the pull-outs and let people pass, cars bunch up and get really anxious to get by... it's the only place on Vancouver Island where I've seen anyone driving aggressively.

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
106 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: roads - RV accessable?

Please use pullouts. If the road is too windy to have regular passing lanes, it likely has a few hills. I would be very impressed to see an RV go the speed limit the complete journey from Nanaimo to Tofino, for instance. If there is more than 5 cars following you for more than 5 minutes, pull over and let them by as soon as it is safe and practical to do so.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,100 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: roads - RV accessable?

There are always accidents on that road.. and they always seem to involve driver error and speed.. many single car accidents.. trust me ,, its not the RVs causing those accidents. And not all RVS are that big and lumbering.. yes 30 foot older models who can't keep up should use pull outs I agree.. but really ,, the assumption that ALL RVS are going too slow all the time is fairly annoying.. many newer smaller RVS go plenty fast enough for folks to keep their butts behind..

Once you have had to sit on that road for a few hours as they deal with an accident up ahead of you .. and you too would wish folks would smarten up.. ( its a narrow road.. so an accident can screw up traffic both ways for hours ) Slow down and look around.. enjoy the drive ..