We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter on the Island

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
58 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Winter on the Island

I'm spending a week on Vancouver Island this winter (late Dec to early Jan). Any suggestions or experiences? I was really hoping to do more of the "active" outdoors things, like kayaking, but it looks like most of the tour companies shut down for the winter... know any that don't? or is kayaking totally out of the question in the winter? What about stormwatching--is it cool or overrated?

I guess what I'm looking for is stuff to do on Vancouver Island in the winter that I couldn't necessarily do the rest of the year... 'cause I think I'll have to plan another trip sometime for the summer, spring, or fall.

North Island Kayak
Kayaking & Canoeing, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Ocean River Sports
Equipment Hire, Kayaking & Canoeing, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Stand-Up Paddleboarding
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,853 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Winter on the Island

In terms of outdoor activities you've picked the worst month for anything.

The sea is rough, unspeakably dangerous and few venture forth.

As to storm watching that's what it is-does watching appeal?

You may have no choice or the sky may clear, the temperature drop and that walk on the beach turn into moments you'll remember forever.

Beautiful Vancouver...
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Winter on the Island

Hmmm. Most of us ski on the Island at that time of year at Mount Washington.

I would call http://www.comoxvalleykayaks.com/

They are very good and would know what is available at that time.

Storm watching is very fun, if you are not afraid of bad weather. For some people it means standing by a window. For us, we go hiking along the beach trails of Tofino and Ucluelet in our rain gear and watch it crash!! It is magnificent. It is always raining on the West Coast at that time of year, but quite often it is not a driving rain but a light, misty, soaking rain that wets you right down but is fine to do things outside in as long as you are dressed for it.

The East side of the island is calmer and more gentle, the West side is very wild and wet.

Hope that helps!

Comox,British...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,505 posts
364 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Winter on the Island

Gretch

You never know what youre gonna get that time of year.Ive golfed three times in a week that time of year and also have not been able to get out in three weeks that same time period.Been fishing,prawning,crabbing,cooked oysters on the beach and have not been able to get on the water for days.It just depends on what youre dealing with.Not too many if any companies operate.another post gave good site for kayaks and also if you like that sort of thing.Walking beaches and storm viewing is a certain beauty in and of itself.

Ucluelet
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Winter on the Island

hey gretch, well during the winter we do get surf kayakers out here, i don't know any outlets that promote that though .. storm watching is INCREBIBLE.. i was born and raised here and i'm still in awe of the magnificant beauty .. everything about uclueluet/tofino is just gorgeous :)

5. Re: Winter on the Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2009, 07:22