We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting car in Victoria and Ok Itinerary?

Michigan
Level Contributor
41 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Renting car in Victoria and Ok Itinerary?

Putting final touches on our pretty ambitious itinerary for Aug 18 - 28 this year. Only need to book one of the nights and figure out the logistics. Can someone provide feedback on when we plan to rent car and if the itinerary sounds reasonable?

Thanks loads. I have spent move then 20 hrs doing my research, and am beginning to tire of it all. Just want to maximize our time.

Night 1 and 2 (Sat, Sun) - Seattle (see Pike Place, Space Needle, etc.) Taxi to Westin (thru Hot Wire). Taxi to ferry early to Vancouver Island.

Night 3 (Mon and Tues)) - Victoria - Walk from ferry dock to Marriott Inner Harbor (thru HotWire). See sigths (typical stuff). Walking - RENT VEHICLE and drive to Port Alberni.

Night 4 and 5 (Tue and Wed) - Revierside Lodge - Port Alberni - guys fish - gals do other stuff (TBD).

Night 6, 7, 8 (Thur, Fri, Sat) - Middle Beach Lodges - Drive to Tofino late Wed. Take trip to Clayoquot - bear watching and hot springs, other outdoorsy stuff, guys will fish out of Ucluelet..

Night 9 (Sun) - Drive to Salt Springs Island ( probably stay iat Hastings House) - winery tours on Salt Spring Island and/or Cowichan Valley..

Night 10 (Mon) - Return car to Victoria, leave Vancouver Island, take ferry over to U.S., taxi to Red Lion hotel by Seattle airport.

Fly home on Tuesday.

So, the car decision is based upon what I read that we won't need a car in Seattle nor the inner harbour in Victoria. Figured we could get a car in Victoria (haven't checked yet). We may be able to turn the rental vehicle in BEFORE going to Salt Springs Island, but it may be cheaper/easier to keep it until we leave Vancouver Island.

Any thoughts? We split up our driving distances, knowing that Tofino is about 6 hrs from Victoria. As you can see, we have to plan for fishing for the guys.

thanks in advance

Victoria, BC Canada
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting car in Victoria and Ok Itinerary?

Yes you can rent a car in Victoria. There's a couple of car rental agencies right downtown as well. Budget and National look like they are right beside each other. We have all the major agencies. Just check their websites for locations and rates.

You can get to Saltsping Island from Crofton, just south of Chemainus and Nanaimo, instead of coming all the way back down to Victoria. Then you can go from Saltspring to Victoria and return the rental. Or you could go back to Crofton and continue down the Island that way. You'd have to check the ferry schedule to see which works out better for you. www.bcferries.com

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting car in Victoria and Ok Itinerary?

Salt Spring is a very popular destination at any time of the year. Do not wait too long to make your reservations or you may find no room at the inn, as it were.

Victoria, BC
Level Contributor
91 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting car in Victoria and Ok Itinerary?

I did not see in your itinerary stops along the Oceanside Area (Parksville, Qualicum Beach). At that time of year, Parksville is a nice place to spend at least half a day. They have a very well known Summer Festival. If you are planning to go to Salt Spring Island via Crofton you may well stop there.

Winneries in Cowichan Valley, great!

There is an Enterprise office right outside downtown. They have free shuttle service to/from the offices. I've used them before and they have one of the best rates on the island.

Comox,British...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting car in Victoria and Ok Itinerary?

Totally travel

you have an aewsome vacation planned.There is a budget rent a car a few blocks from The Marriot.The only question mark I have is the two days in Port Alberni for the guys they have picked the best time of year to fish so that will be great for them but for the girls there is not much going on in Port although Riverside Lodge is a great spot.You might want to just head over to the west coast they will be fishing the same area anyway.Just a thought

I would suggest as a previous post said to ferry to Saltsring thru Crofton (Vesivius)and back to Vic thru fulford Hrbour

Have a great time

5. Re: Renting car in Victoria and Ok Itinerary?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2009, 06:24