We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camper Van

Which Victoria hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lichfield STAFFS
Level Contributor
1 post
58 reviews
Save Topic
Camper Van

Hi

We are travelling to Vancouver Mid May and have decided to hire an RV, however we don't really know the island and would appreciate and suggested itinerays. We are picking the campervan up from Delta and will take the ferry to Victoria.

Any suggestions welcome.

Victoria, BC Canada
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,122 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camper Van

Your best bet, if possible, is to rent the RV on the Island. It'll save you the cost of bringing it over on the ferry. How long are you going to be on the Island and what did you want to hopefully see and do? It's a larger island than most people think and could easily take two weeks or even more to explore. I live here and haven't been everywhere yet! Your only issue with mid May might be the long weekend, May 18th - 21st. It'll make the ferries and the campgrounds busy so you should try and reserve spots that weekend. Most provincial campgrounds will require you to stay Fri - Sun nights if you reserve. There are spots that are first come - first serve, you'd just need to be there earlier in the day rather than later. I'm not sure about private campgrounds, I tent so don't need hook-ups.

Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Camper Van

If you need to get back to Vancouver anyway, then renting there is probably still fine cuz you'll need to get around somehow (including to the ferry).

I would recommend heading to Long Beach for sure. Getting into the Federal campground there is difficult (although not sure about May), and we prefer Bella Pacifica campground anyway. It's gorgeous, and right on MacKenzie beach. www.bellapacifica.com Lots of whale-watching, fishing and surfing possibilities there. On your way back check out Sproat Lake - it's great for watersports, and the huge Mars Martin water bomber planes are based there, right beside the provincial campground.

There are many other provincial campgrounds too - check out www.discovercamping.ca if you haven't already.

The closest one to Victoria is Goldstream, but China Beach and French Beach are fairly close too, but at the beach.

And the obvious thing to check out is of course Butchart Gardens. I could probably suggest more if you want to tell me your ages and interests!

Keishaw, born and raised in Victoria

Comox,British...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
308 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camper Van

IMO the best RV Park in Victoria www.westbay.bc.ca You would have to reserve yesterday.

From there you could meander up to Parksville aprox 1 1/2 hr drive

www.surfside.bc.ca or www.parksands.com

or Rathtrevor Beach www.vancouverisland.com

4. Re: Camper Van

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 03:18