We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Ferry from Victoria to Seattle?

El Paso
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Car Ferry from Victoria to Seattle?

Having hard time finding info on how to go from Victoria to Seattle with a vehicle- any help is appreciated..! Also wondering how long it takes, if anyone knows..

Thanks so much!

Mentioned in this post
Victoria
Victoria
Vancouver Island, Canada
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Victoria, Canada
Destination Expert
for Victoria, Port Angeles
Level Contributor
1,457 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Ferry from Victoria to Seattle?

You can drive from Victoria to Swartz Bay, take the ferry (reservation useful, but necessary only on holiday weekends) to Tsawwassen, and then drive to Seattle ... a long trip, often with quite a wait at U.S. Customs. At least five hours.

Or you can take the Coho ferry ( www.cohoferry.com/schedules.htm ; make sure you have a reservation ) to Port Angeles and drive to Seattle. this method you either

go via the Hood Canal Bridge, which may not have tolls any more, and then Washington State ferry from (say) Bainbridge Island to Seattle (at least five hours),

or drive around Puget Sound and across the Narrows Bridge via Tacoma and back to Seattle (at least six hours, more if you hit rush hour).

The best route is Coho and Bainbridge ferries. Wait for U.S. Customs at Port Angeles is short, and the drive to Bainbridge is lovely.

Mentioned in this post
Victoria
Victoria
Vancouver Island, Canada
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Port Angeles
Port Angeles
Washington
Tacoma
Tacoma
Washington
Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Ferry from Victoria to Seattle?

There's one more option as well--the ferry from Sidney (north of Victoria) to Anacortes through the San Juan Islands. It goes 2x a day in summer. The whole trip will take about 5 hours (3 hour ferry ride and 2 hours from Anacortes to Seattle).

I'd agree that taking the Coho to Port Angeles is probably your best bet, although the ferry through the San Juans is very scenic.

Mentioned in this post
Sidney
Sidney
Vancouver Island, Canada
Victoria
Victoria
Vancouver Island, Canada
Anacortes
Anacortes
Fidalgo Island, WA
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Port Angeles
Port Angeles
Washington
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,015 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Ferry from Victoria to Seattle?

If you take the Swartz Bay-Tsawwassen ferry via BC Ferries (www.bcferries.bc.ca), you'll realize that their schedule is the most frequent - with ferries every hour or every 2 hours.

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Ferry from Victoria to Seattle?

Agree, the BC Ferries schedule is the most convenient but depending on when I was traveling, I''d go with an option that didn't include crossing the border from BC to WA at the Peace Arch or the nearby truck crossing due to the possible long wait to get into the US. With the other options, it's pretty quick going through customs/immigration, or at least that's been my experience.

El Paso
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Ferry from Victoria to Seattle?

Thanks for all your great advice!!

I didnt realize it was such a long trip, but with that said, do you think that it may make more sense to just take the ferry back to Vancouver, and then drive down from there to Seattle? Would that save time and money or would that be worse? Thanks again, you've all been great!!!

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
13,158 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Ferry from Victoria to Seattle?

where are you starting? or I should ask where are you renting your car? there is a walk on ferry, the Clipper, from Victoria to Seattle so possibly you could do your car rental in canada only and get around from Seattle to Victoria/or Vancouver by ferry, bus, amtrak..just a thought.

Mentioned in this post
Victoria
Victoria
Vancouver Island, Canada
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,015 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Ferry from Victoria to Seattle?

The ferry from Victoria to Vancouver is the "Swartz Bay - Tsawwassen" route we're all talking about. Swartz Bay is the major BC Ferries terminal located a 30-40 minute drive north of Victoria. Tsawwassen is the major BC Ferries terminal located a 40 minute drive south of Vancouver. However, Tsawwassen, is only a 20 minute drive away from the Canada-USA border. The problem is that the border is unpredictable - depending on the time and the day of the week, you could wait as little as 5 minutes or for over an hour - it's really a gamble. But once you cross the border, it's a 2 hour drive along I-5 into downtown Seattle. Just be wary of Seattle's rush hour traffic.

Mentioned in this post
Victoria
Victoria
Vancouver Island, Canada
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Canada
Canada
North America
United States
United States
North America
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Ferry from Victoria to Seattle?

No--due to the unpredictability of the border crossing wait.

Southern California
Level Contributor
155 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Ferry from Victoria to Seattle?

I have taken all of the ferries mentioned. Personally I would take the Sidney - Anacortes ferry as it is the most scenic of the 3 options and is a much quicker and a shorter driving distance than the BC ferries. My second choice would be from downtown Victoria to Port Angeles though it is by far the least scenic of the 3.

Mentioned in this post
Sidney
Sidney
Vancouver Island, Canada
Anacortes
Anacortes
Fidalgo Island, WA
Victoria
Victoria
Vancouver Island, Canada
Port Angeles
Port Angeles
Washington
phx az
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Ferry from Victoria to Seattle?

could you tell me the prices for a car ferry from sattle to victoria canada