We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Victoria Clipper - Victoria to Seattle

Which Victoria hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Edmonton
Level Contributor
364 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Victoria Clipper - Victoria to Seattle

I've done a bit of searching on this passenger ferry in the forum but, couldn't find anything about the trip from Victoria to Seattle. I was wondering what the ride itself is like. We'll be traveling on Aug 27th to Seattle.

Is it bumpy, smooth, fun etc. For some "crazy" reason I can get a little queazy on ferries. I figured out a couple of years ago that I'm fine when I'm outside. If I'm inside it's best for me not to look out the window unless I can see the horizon. I'm fine on sailboats, motors boats and inland BC ferries. It's these ocean ferries that can be a concern.

Am I in trouble here? Am I going to have to dope myself up? If so, what are my options. Keep in mind I'm not a big pill pusher so, it doesn't take much to knock me out. I'm not against flying if its really THAT bumpy. I just thought it be fun to be on the water (and it is a bit cheaper).

Oh and we are not using a car at all this trip so I figured this ferry would be best considering we will be staying at hotels near where it docks (on both ends)

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Newcastle
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Victoria Clipper - Victoria to Seattle

We went in October and the ride was smooth. If the water or stormy weather is present they will not go out. We went on a Monday and returned to Seattle on a Wednesday. It was a comfortable ride.I usually get motion sickness but it did not occur on the trip. I always bring along Draminine just in case.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
352 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Victoria Clipper - Victoria to Seattle

I would recommend if you are at all nervous about the ride, sit on the lower level. The upper level has better views, but more motion.

I've done a couple of trips on the Clipper. One trip it was very foggy, so the water was very calm. Coming back from Seattle on another trip, it was windy and the waves were high when we got out into the open Strait of Juan de Fuca for the last 1/2 or so of the trip. But since the Clipper is a catamaran type ship, it rides more over the waves as opposed to through the waves like a traditional ship, so it was a mostly motion-free trip.

The weather in August is pretty good, too. I'd say you'd have more to worry about if you were planning the trip in the Spring or Fall, but I don't think you'll encounter rough seas in August at all.

Victoria, Canada
Destination Expert
for Victoria, Port Angeles
Level Contributor
1,336 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Victoria Clipper - Victoria to Seattle

bring your camera, a warm jacket for when you go outside, and take dramamine before boarding. The only place you can go outside is a small area off the upper deck, and it is usually infested with smokers. but with dramamine you should be fine.

i like the rough weather journey but it is very rare in august. once when i was going on it to Seattle, the weather changed for the worse. they change course for a more roundabout route -- they do keep queasy passengers in mind!

you will have a great time, enjoy.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
364 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Victoria Clipper - Victoria to Seattle

Thanks everyone. That makes me feel pretty good.

I was looking forward to standing outside but, I always forget about people smoking. Oh well, I'll fight my way out there and hope I'm not down wind.

Is Dramamine over the counter? Wait is that another word for gravol? That stuff will knock me out. Hubby will be carrying me off that boat LOL

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
238 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Victoria Clipper - Victoria to Seattle

I also get motion sickness quite easily. Been on the Victoria Clipper about 5 times and never been sick. The first time I sat down stairs in the middle of the ferry where there is less motion. It is a great trip; lots to see. Take a camera and pair of binoculars. I like to look at the houses on shore!

Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Victoria Clipper - Victoria to Seattle

Hi, was just on it on Saturday, and they will sell you a chewable dramamine pill right there for 25 cents (so you don't even need to bring your own). Take it as soon as they announce it and you'll be fine. That time of year is historically calm anyway, so you don't need to worry. Our ride both ways was very calm - I've noticed more motion on the BC Ferries.

TK

Edmonton
Level Contributor
364 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Victoria Clipper - Victoria to Seattle

Wow, thanks for the help. It does sound fun. Hubby and I are trying to finalize where exactly we are going. For a couple of days we axed going to Victoria but, when I was focusing on Seattle only, people on the forum kept mentioning how fun the Clipper was.

So, I think we are going to stick with our first itinerary. The only thing is I'm notorious for being indecisive!

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
3,412 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Victoria Clipper - Victoria to Seattle

If you are prone to motion sickness, I highly recommend buying wrist bands at Walgreens and wearing those on any ferry rides, etc. They cost less than four dollars, and I have found them to be very effective in combating sea sickness.

El Cerrito...
Level Contributor
172 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Victoria Clipper - Victoria to Seattle

Does anyone here know of any kind of discounts available for the ferry, or is the price on their website pretty much set in stone? It seemed pretty expensive to me, so I was wondering if it would be better and faster to just fly from Seattle. What are the pros/cons for taking the ferry versus flying? I'll be traveling from California and plan to spend a few days in Seattle and a few days in Victoria.

How far in advance do you need to reserve tickets for the ferry, for travel in late August?

Victoria, BC Canada
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,122 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Victoria Clipper - Victoria to Seattle

AAA or seniors or advanced bookings are all cheaper.

Flying pros: faster; cons: typically more expensive unless there's a seat sale, airport to airport both out of town a bit.

Ferry pros: more scenic, usually cheaper, harbour to harbour, both close to town; cons: slower.

If you know when you want to go, reserve as soon as you can. Why wait? Late August usually runs into a long weekend and is a very busy travlling time. Especially that long weekend as it's the last before the kiddies go back to school.