We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get to Victoria from Seattle?

Gilbert, Arizona
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to get to Victoria from Seattle?

I've read mixed reviews of Victoria Clipper's service from Seattle to Victoria. But I can't find a route to Victoria via Seattle on Washington State Ferries' website. Anyone know of a better way to get to Victoria from Seattle other than by using Victoria Clipper? Thanks!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,102 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get to Victoria from Seattle?

There are no other direct ferry services between Seattle and Victoria other than by the Victoria Clipper.

If you want to use the Washington state ferry, you have to drive an hour drive north of Seattle to the town of Anacortes and take the ferry to the town of Sidney on Vancouver Island, which is a half hour drive north of Victoria.

There's also the Coho ferry, which goes from Port Angeles to Victoria. The only problem is that Port Angeles is several hours west of Seattle and the Coho has the least frequent schedule.

Then there's the BC Ferries which has hourly ferry service in the summer, but that only makes sense if you're in Vancouver, not Seattle.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get to Victoria from Seattle?

Are you travelling without a car?

If so, another option is to travel by float plane. Its more expensive, but balanced against time travelling by ferries it could be worth it.

Kenmore Air has direct daily flights from downtown Seattle to downtown Victoria for under $300 round trip and often has specials for day and overnight packages.

www.kenmoreair.com

Victoria, BC Canada
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to get to Victoria from Seattle?

Actually the Anacortes ferry is the least frequent, only running twice a day in the summer and once right now. Mind you the Coho isn't a lot better at four times a day. If you're in Seattle without a car and aren't going to Vancouver, then you have to take the Clipper or fly.

Gilbert, Arizona
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to get to Victoria from Seattle?

Yes, I will be travelling without a car, and don't drive unfortunately. But I may have a travel companion, who does drive, so renting a car may possibly be an option. But from what everyone is saying, it does seem like the Clipper is really the easiest option to get to Victoria directly from Seattle to be honest. I did intend to go to Vancouver as well, but don't have enough time now. I booked a hotel through Priceline in Seattle, and am now locked into staying there for a set amount of time (3 1/2 days in Seattle, 3 1/2 days in Victoria). It would just take too long to go via Vancouver first, though I'd love to see the city one of these days! :-) Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions!

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to get to Victoria from Seattle?

I've taken the Clipper a number of times and have never had any issues with it--what is the nature of your concern?

Taking a floatplane (Kenmore Air) is another option.

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
238 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to get to Victoria from Seattle?

Splitting your time between just two cities, especially Seattle and Victoria sounds great to me. I have also taken the Victoria Clipper numerous times to Victoria and have found it to be a very enjoyable trip. Lots of wonderful scenery. You don't need a car in Victoria, especially if you stay near the Inner Harbor. It is a very walkable city. Have fun.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
368 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to get to Victoria from Seattle?

I too am wondering what your concern is with the Clipper.

We are taking it Aug25th from Victoria to Seattle and I've heard nothing but positive reviews. Even with my concerns of sea sickness, everyones assured me enough of what precautions to take to the point where I'm excited about riding the Clipper. I think it'll be a great start to our Seattle portion of the trip

8. Re: Best way to get to Victoria from Seattle?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 17:16