We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vancouver Island day trips/outer islands

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
62 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Vancouver Island day trips/outer islands

My husband and I will be staying in Qualicum for five days. We love the beach there, but would like to know if there is a day trip or overnight that would be fun to do to one of the smaller islands. We have been to Vancouver Island many times and thus have done Victoria, Butchart Gardens, whale watching, etc. Would be interested in knowing if there is a ferry ride to an outer island with possible overnight accommodations that would be nice for this trip. We are heading there next week, so any info would be appreciated. Yes, I know, I really should plan farther ahead....

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,738 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vancouver Island day trips/outer islands

Will you have a car? if so you could easily drive up to Cambell River and take a ferry to Quadra Island..or Denman is na option as is Hornby. If you plan to do an overnight for sure book acommodation ahead as these places do get booked up. You could also look at doing a day trip kayaking from Quadra. Check www.hellobc.com for places to stay and links to these islands..also check www.bcferries.com for ferry info.The ferries are smaller and if you are going over a weekend you may not be able to get off!

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
416 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vancouver Island day trips/outer islands

I agree - Denman or Hornby Island are the places to go. You'll love Qualicum. Go to Qualicum Foods and get one of their raspberry white chocolate scones from the coffee shop upstairs...they are to die for!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
726 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vancouver Island day trips/outer islands

I also agree that Denman and Hornby Islands are worth a visit. I had posted before of these two little known island gems and they are so near to you. If you likes the beach at Qualicum, you will fall in love with Whaling Station Bay and Tribune Bay on Hornby.

http://www.denmanisland.com/

http://www.hornbyisland.com/

I think you would have a great day on either one of these little places. Qualicum to the ferry dock is only about 25 minutes away so it is really a doable day trip.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,503 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vancouver Island day trips/outer islands

Just to clarify - if you want to go to Hornby, you must first get the ferry to Denman, drive across and catch the other ferry to Hornby. It could be a nice day trip being it's so close to Qualicum.

Campbell River is about 1 hr North of Qualicum and the ferry to Quadra Island is 15 mins.

Canada
Level Contributor
351 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vancouver Island day trips/outer islands

All the island suggestions are great, and they would be nice day trips, but does it have to be an island? If you have never been to the west coast of Vancouver Island you could get to Tofino in just about the same time - a beautiful drive (stop at Cathedral Grove) and a beautiful place. There would be more choices for accommodations, eating and activities in Tofino.

Victoria, Canada
Destination Expert
for Victoria, Port Angeles
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vancouver Island day trips/outer islands

well for sure check out Little Qualicum Falls while you're in the area.

i agree, visit Long Beach if you haven't already.

Two more islands further afield are Thetis, reached from near Chemainus, and Cortez, hippie-haven reached i think from Quadra.

7. Re: Vancouver Island day trips/outer islands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 08:17