We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling with kids....

Washington
Level Contributor
5 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling with kids....

Hello all! First I wanted to thank everyone for the wonderful information put out here. It has helped me a lot in planning our trip.

We're planning on heading to Victoria next month for 3 nights. We have two kids, ages 5 and 6, and I'm wondering what to do that's fun for them, while interesting to my hubby and I. Is the castle tour OK for kids, or is that something that should be for "adults only?"

I've done a lot of research, and came across the "Hidden Dragon tour" in Chinatown. It sounds intriguing, but the site didn't elaborate much on it. Has anyone done this, if so, is it recommended, and is it OK for kids?

We're staying off the beaten path, and away from the general downtown area to save money. The hotel offers a free shuttle service to and from the ferry terminal, and we had planned on just using the buses. Will this be a hassle, and even worth the few dollars that we would save on hotel?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

M

SpringTide Whale Watching & Charters
Boat Tours, Eco Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Nature & Wildlife Tours
A Taste of Victoria Food Tours
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours
Bike Tours Victoria BC
Sightseeing Tours, Bike Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
561 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling with kids....

I'm sorry, but I haven't taken the Hidden Dragon Tour (actually have never heard of it), so I cannot comment.

For a five and six year old (and parents, too) there are several activities that you might all enjoy. Certainly take in the Royal BC Museum. It has many different displays (including simulated forest and ocean environments, native villages and our personal favourite the "old fashioned" area showing life in the early 1900's). There is also an IMAX theatre. The Museum is in the Inner Harbour area and is very close to Undersea Gardens and the Wax Museum. You will be able to see all three establishments from the Inner Harbour. On the side of the Empress Hotel (also in Inner Harbour) you will find Miniature World that depicts many scenes, but in small versions. We have two children (10 & 12 now) and over the years we have visited our hometown many times and they have enjoyed all of these places.

The bus system in Victoria is excellent. All bus routes end up/start in the downtown area. Usually you will find that several bus routes are accessible to where you are staying so you have lots of times to choose from. You can get day passes that are probably cheaper if you plan on taking several buses during the day. Downtown is in walking distance to the Inner Harbour (about 15-20 minutes), but you will find that you can transfer onto buses that either go right through Inner Harbour or have stops within a block of the area.

Hope this gives you some ideas.