We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Complimentry hotel voucher

liverpool
Level Contributor
57 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Complimentry hotel voucher

We have just returned from A PLACE IN THE SUN seminar in which we were given free accomadation vouchers for the WESTIN BEAR MOUNTAIN GOLF RESORT AND SPA for 7 days, (subject to availability).

We are planning a 2 week holiday in May next year to Vancouver so I was wondering if we should spend 2 weeks just in Vancouver or should we take up the offer of the complimentry hotel vouchers? None of us have been to Canada before and we would like to see as much as possible but not in a rushed sense.

The trip will be myself and my family and my cousin and her family, youngest age 3 up to the eldest whos early 50s.

Thank you in advance.

Parksville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Complimentry hotel voucher

Hi. One week in Vancouver will give you lots of time to see all of the sights, in and around the city. There is lots to see on Vancouver Island, and you can use your accommodation near Victoria as your home base.

Victoria B.C.
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
332 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Complimentry hotel voucher

As Robinsegg said, one week in Vancouver is plenty, so a week on Vancouver Island would be a good idea!

The Westin Bear Mountain Resort is fairly new, and supposed to be really nice. If you get to stay there for free, I'd say go for it!!

The hotel is about a 25 minute drive from downtown Victoria.

There are many many different places you could check out on Vancouver Island. From Chemainus, to Sooke, Tofino, Nanaimo, Parksville, Coombs, Carmanah Valley, ect ect There are some great forums already on here about places on the island to visit.

Comox,British...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,485 posts
334 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Complimentry hotel voucher

Westin Bear Mountain is a beautiful resort.I have stayed there and really enjoyed it.As a point of interest though it is really built around golf.Not sure it is the best place for young kids in the resort area itself,but you are fairly close by driving distance to alot of activities etc.Depending on what you plan to do on your vacation,it is not in the hub of activity.there is also alot of construction in the area.So,very nice resort ,high end golf facility,nice rooms etc. Excellent value for free

liverpool
Level Contributor
57 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Complimentry hotel voucher

Thanks for your replies, should we hire a car in vancouver or wait till we get to Victoria?

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,285 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Complimentry hotel voucher

Hire a car in Vancouver at the airport and bring the vehicle over on the ferry (bcferries.com). Vancouver Island is similar in size to the Netherlands so lots to see and do but you do need a vehicle to get about. Enjoy your trip!

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
416 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Complimentry hotel voucher

I would most definitely recommend taking in one week on at the Island at the Westin Bear Mountain Resort. One week is plenty of time to get a good taste of both Vancouver and Victoria/Vancouver Island.

The Bear Mountain resort is constantly evolving. The owners are trying to turn it into the next Whistler. While it is focused on Golf, there are many more activites coming to the surrounding area. As another reviewer indicated, it's only 20-25 minutes from Victoria and even closer to activities on the West Shore like Hatley Castle and Fort Rodd Hill.

With respect to a car rental, I would recommend renting it in Victoria so that you don't have to pay the ridiculously overpriced fares to travel with a vehicle on BC Ferries. You will need a car while on the Island as it is inconvenient otherwise to go between the Bear Mountain Resort and downtown Victoria. If money is not an object, one might consider a float plane ride from Vancouver to Victoria harbour where you can pick up your rental car from downtown.

liverpool
Level Contributor
57 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Complimentry hotel voucher

Thank You for your reply & Happy Christmas

8. Re: Complimentry hotel voucher

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 18:23
Get answers to your questions about Victoria
Recent Conversations