We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation Victoria Xmas for 3 nights

Perth, Australia
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Accommodation Victoria Xmas for 3 nights

We travel from Australia Xmas day to Vancouver, and then pick up car before heading to Tsawwassen - Swartz Bay ferry. Looking at staying Victoria from 25th to 28th Dec. (3 nights), before heading Sidney to Anacortes ferry and then drive to Seattle.

Any suggestions for accommodation in Victoria for 2 adults & 2 children (11 & 9), not looking for 5 star luxuries, but clean, comfortable and close to all amenities.

Also if we wanted to go out for a meal Xmas day, any suggestions (remembering we would have been flying 25 hours prior to arriving in Vancouver so not looking for late night out).

Thanks in advance.

Comox,British...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,501 posts
361 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation Victoria Xmas for 3 nights

I like to suggest the inner harbour for accommodations it is close to all the action and there is a variety of places.Mid range Royal Scot Suites,Best Western Inner Harbour,Harbour Towers Suites.Suggesting suite to accommodate the kids.For Christmas dinner,are you looking for a traditional Cdn Christmas dinner or just somewhere that is open?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
895 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation Victoria Xmas for 3 nights

The Royal Scot (Suite Hotel) will fit the bill perfectly for clean comfortable and close. They have well equipped little kitchens in all the rooms. There is a free shuttle and they will take you to the grocery store (you can go to nearby Thrifty foods or if you're into gastronomic delights they will also take you to the Market on Yates). With kids it's nice to have some snacks and breakfast in the room. My kids are the same age as yours and booking a one or two bedroom suite makes for a very civilized stay. (If you only book a one bedroom there is still a full sized pullout in the living room). You will be walking distance to everything in the Inner Harbour/DT area.

If you want to go more upscale we loved our suite at the Oswego. But it is pricey, and we treated ourselves just once when the Royal Scot was booked. Since then we've returned to the Royal Scot.

I bet the Empress puts on a nice traditional Christmas dinner. But there are many many restaurants within walking distance there.

Perth, Australia
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodation Victoria Xmas for 3 nights

islandrockin & Soozeequeue

Appreciate the replies. Yes, the Royal Scot Suites look ideal, and having the kitchen facilities always helps when you have children. Regarding Xmas, I can’t see us looking for a 5 star meal as we would will have had 25 hours flight from Perth to Vancouver, then travel by ferry to Sidney, before driving to Victoria, so can see us just looking for a bite to eat (still Xmas day, so want to at least have a sit down). We have looked at the attractions on websites and Burchart Garden keeps coming up (don’t know how much you can see in winter, and also saw there is a “Bug Zoo”, which will be good for the kids).

Only got 3 nights in Victoria as we are primarily travelling to Canada for 2 weeks skiing at Sunpeaks, but 3 days Victoria with the ferry trips from Tsawwassen - Swartz Bay and Sidney to Anacortes to see the islands, assuming the weather is ok, before heading for 5 days in Seattle (still trying to work out where to stay there from 28th Dec. to 3rd Jan).

Again, thanks for the info above, well appreciated.

Victoria, BC Canada
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,127 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodation Victoria Xmas for 3 nights

Butchart Gardens at that time is great. They light the whole gardens up with Christmas lights. Here's their webpage with the details. We go every year just to see the lights.

butchartgardens.com/planning-your-visit/the-…

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
895 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodation Victoria Xmas for 3 nights

Celts, my boys are 8 and 11 and here are some of their favorites in the Inner Harbour/DT area i.e. walking distance

Miniatureworld (around the side of the Empress)

The Royal BC Museum - (next to the legislature buildings) especially the Natural History part with the tide pools and rain forests, and the Imax theatre

Fisherman's Wharf, take the little harbour ferries over there, buy some fish and feed the seals - one of them will twirl for you if you twirl the fish!

The Ghost Walk at night, sign up at the Tourism Office in the Inner Harbour

Tea at the James Bay Tearoom, about two blocks from the Royal Scot

I would think that you would have a fair amount of choices for meals on Christmas Day as most of the hotel restaurants would still have to be open that day. You'd be out of luck for groceries that day though. And remember that in Canada Dec. 26 is Boxing Day so many things are still closed (but the malls - probably including the Bay Centre Downtown - have big sales).

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
416 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accommodation Victoria Xmas for 3 nights

If you're looking for good value and a good location, the Best Western Carlton Plaza is located right in the heart of downtown. The other hotels surround Victoria's Inner Harbour and the residential area of James Bay. While that might be nice in the summer when there are lots of tourist activities, the inner harbour is pretty quiet in the winter time and so I think staying right in the heart of downtown where you are close to restaurants, shopping and theatre is much more practical.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
895 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Accommodation Victoria Xmas for 3 nights

I come to Victoria about 4 times a year and only once have I been in the summer - Haven't been in Dec but have been in Feb - and I still like the location of the Royal Scot, and the convenience of the larger rooms/kitchens with kids.

Perth, Australia
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Accommodation Victoria Xmas for 3 nights

Just want to say thanks for all the advice and I ended up booking accommodation at the Royal Scot Suites for our 3 day trip.

Cheers

John

9. Re: Accommodation Victoria Xmas for 3 nights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2009, 11:24