We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how deep is the snow?

Which Victoria hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,260 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
how deep is the snow?

hi, coming next week , can anyone please tell me how deep the snow is that you have just had and how long do you think it will lie. will the roads be ok to drive on. thanks bg

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,198 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how deep is the snow?

Im in Vancouver, but I don't think they've had any more "weather" over there than we have. We are in for a cold, dry week. Lots of sun, and below normal temps, but no snow to speak of.

Here's the local forcast: www.cbc.ca/weather/conditions.jsp?station=YYJ

Only flurries, no real snow showing.

Here's a highway camera: …drivebc.ca/bchighwaycam/…dbc_cam138.html

These are for monitoring traffic, but also allow you a live shot of weather conditions. Looks like a light dusting, but you can see that the trees are clear.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,260 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how deep is the snow?

thanks for the links. my friend who lives up in shawnigan lake in vancouver island, sent me photos of the snow they had on sat/sun and it was about 6inchs. she said they had 4cms down in victoria. ta , bg

Victoria, Canada
Destination Expert
for Victoria, Port Angeles
Level Contributor
1,316 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how deep is the snow?

right now side roads are very icy. weather is beautiful with blue skies and sunshine glowing on the snow. it's supposed to snow on wednesday. temperatures below zero celsius; especially cold on friday. lots of fun!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,260 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how deep is the snow?

arr thurs afternoon and going over to the island on saturday so will bring plenty of warm cloths. ta bg

Victoria, BC Canada
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,122 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how deep is the snow?

We're expecting more flurries Wednesday, then again on Fri and Sunday. How are you coming over? If you're flying, check the flight before you go because the strong winds are delaying some flights and could also delay some ferries.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,260 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how deep is the snow?

yes flying over to the island , last plane on sat pm. bg

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
416 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how deep is the snow?

We are anticipating another 5 centimetres of snow on both Saturday and Sunday. Victoria tends to shut down when it snows. While 5 centimetres is not much, it's hard to predict if that is accurate. Expect possible delays or cancellations for your flight. I would recommend making a back up plan and leaving extra time for delays.

www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/cabc0313

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,198 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: how deep is the snow?

I feel obliged to add that the chaos mostly lasts while it is snowing. Everything gets cleared up pretty quickly, so while you may experience some delays, possibly an unanticipated overnight due to canceled ferries or planes, it shouldn't last.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,469 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: how deep is the snow?

On Sunday morning (Dec 14th) about 9:30 AM on the radio they were advising anyone taking the ferry to Vancouver Island to reconsider because none of the highways had been plowed. THere was snow from Victoria north to Black Creek just between Courtenay and Campbell River. Campbell River has no snow! Well, maybe a skiff here and there, but no bragging rights.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,260 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: how deep is the snow?

thanks guys for the updates. just have to cross my fingers that it wont affect our plans. we can always stay over another night in vancouver providing the airlines are changing the flights at no cost as my ticket is non changable but if they are the ones doing the change it should be ok. bg