We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in early July and Whale Watching

hexham
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Topic
Weather in early July and Whale Watching

Can anyone enlighten me on the general type of weather to expect. Thinking of visiting Tofino and poss Victoria and wondering about Campbell River.

Also , I understand the northern resident pod of orcas is the one to try to see in July. Any recommendations for companies to go with and where they are based?. Would prefer zodiac type boat we think.

Also is Prince rupert worth the trip?

Telegraph Cove
Level Contributor
83 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in early July and Whale Watching

The first week of July can be a little hit & miss for the Northern residents. We have managed to deplete their food supply (salmon) so if the fish are low they tend to be further out.

Telegraph Cove is the place to start to see the Northern Residents.

There is no zodiacs up north if you must have zodiac try the southern residents out o Victoria.

Options from Telegraph Cove are Stubbs who have a large boat and up to three tours a day or North Island Kayak who have multiple options.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,313 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in early July and Whale Watching

I would say that July is the best month to visit BC as far as your best chance of good weather. Sometimes our summer doesn't get going until later in July, but this is, after all, a coastal temporate RAIN FOREST, which implies lots of rain. :>

Be prepared with a good Gore-Tex type of raincoat and boots, as rain can be an issue 12 months a year, but otherwise, you could get temps in the 30s and hot summer sun and beach weather. The west side (Tofino) will be windy and cooler.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,757 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in early July and Whale Watching

There are at least three companies out of Campbell River who use large rigid hull zodiac-like vessels for whale watching.

http://www.eagleeyeadventures.com/

http://www.aboriginaljourneys.com/index.htm

http://www.campbellriverwhalewatching.com/

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
416 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in early July and Whale Watching

You can get zodiac whale watching tours from Campbell River, Sidney, Tofino, Ucluelet, and Victoria. Victoria offers a lot more options for whale watching and I would recommend selecting Victoria as your base for whale watching. There is a lot more choice in companies. I would also recommend that you consider the scarab boat as an option for whale watching. It is faster than a zodiac but no where near as bumpy. Seafun Safaris and Eagle Wing Adventures operate scarab boats. For zodiacs, I would recommend Orca Spirit. Otherwise, Prince of Whales offers the most frequent departures while Seafun offers the longest whale watching tours.

If you're on the Eastern side of the Island in Ucluelet or Tofino, I would recommend Jamie's Whale Watching. They provide you with a superb experience.

You may want to read my article under the 'Things to do' tab on how to select a whale watching company.

As for Prince Rupert, there is absolutely nothing there but the trip from Prince Hardy to Prince Rupert is superb with unparalleled scenery. You may also want to consider taking the train from Prince Rupert to Jasper. It is called the Skeena and is operated by Via Rail. You would have to overnight in Prince George.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,757 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in early July and Whale Watching

<<As for Prince Rupert, there is absolutely nothing there but the trip from Prince Hardy to Prince Rupert is superb with unparalleled scenery....>>

I beg to differ-the trip is much of the same small broken tree/bare rock scenery over and over -breathtaking vistas are rare.

As to Prince Rupert for those interested in the outdoors the area is a vast wonderland of opportunity.

Whales/Bears/Seals~Sea Lions abound, the skies/seas are full of Birds of all kinds and the sea teems with Fish; the cool cloudy weather can be a trial but the local scenery-when it shows itself-is stunning.

Not a day trip though.

6. Re: Weather in early July and Whale Watching

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2009, 01:19
Get answers to your questions about Victoria
Recent Conversations