We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vancouver Airport to Victoria

Which Victoria hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Scotland
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Vancouver Airport to Victoria

We are a family of five arriving in Vancouver from the UK at 2.30 on a Saturday afternoon in July. We have approx 5 days before picking up a motorhome and want to split the time between Vancouver and Victoria. I was thinking that to make best use of our time we would head straight to Victoria. Is this pratical given we will be carrying enough luggage for 3 weeks and 3 happy smiling kids at the end of a 15 hour journey!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,260 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vancouver Airport to Victoria

you can hire a 4x4 or car at the airoprt and get the ferry to victoria, the crossing only takes just over an hour. or you can get the bus straight to victoria from the airport , your ferry ticket will be part of the bus fare and it goes right into the depot in victoria downtown. the bus will carry all your luggage in the hold. bg

Comox,British...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
308 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vancouver Airport to Victoria

I think to extend your journey that way in July(a very busy ferry time) would be possibly way too much to endure.Everyone will be sacked.IMO you would be better to go into Van. first get settled have your time there and then over to Vic.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,570 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vancouver Airport to Victoria

Or look into a connecting flight to Victoria. If there is a good connection, that might work.

I agree that you will be worn out already and suggest you don't over do it, but if you are thinking of heading directly to Victoria (don't forget you'll be raring to go at 5:00 am the next morning), perhaps either just spend the night in an airport hotel, or rent your car and drive down to Tswwassen and spend the night down there before catching the first ferry out in the morning.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
72,539 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vancouver Airport to Victoria

Hi;

Save your money on the rental expense and on the extra gasoline... there is no reason to rent a 4x4. If you need the extra space, consider a 7 passenger mini-van.

My in-laws visit us each year from the UK. Once they land all they want to do is rest. I would agree with staying in a hotel for the first night as "islandrockin" has suggested.

Best Regards

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
416 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vancouver Airport to Victoria

I am also in agreement to not go straight to Victoria UNLESS you are purchasing a connecting flight. Air Canada is an expensive option but you may want to try Pacific Coastal Airlines. They are a much cheaper option and since you have the benefit of the pound as your home currency, the price will be even cheaper after the currency conversion. If you book in advance, I would suspect that it would cost about 50 pounds each for the flight over to Victoria. www.pacific-coastal.com/

Alternatively, start your vacation in Vancouver and then rent a car or take Pacific Coachlines over to Victoria.

Victoria, Bc
Level Contributor
18 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vancouver Airport to Victoria

Hello Hams! I have a few thoughts on this. I agree with the other posters that renting a car and heading to Victoria upon arrival may be a bit much. However, if you want to hit the Island first there is an excellent coach service that runs from Vancouver airport directly to Victoria (www.pacificcoach.com). No driving for you when you're bagged but you'll still get to see the gorgeous sights on the ferry ride over or you can simply have a nap! Pacific Coastal Airlines has restrictions on both the number and weight of your bags so that may not work to fly, depending on how light you travel (see previous posting). Personally, I would spend the first 2 nights in Vancouver (it's a great city) and then either take the coach over (as above) or rent a Suburban or something like it with enough room for all your luggage (a minivan may be a stretch, again depending on how many bags you have) and drive yourselves to the Tsawassen ferry terminal and over to the Island. I am assuming you are renting the motor home in Vancouver? If so, spend a couple of nights in Victoria, then travel up the Island towards Nanaimo. Walk around Goldstream Park on the way there (just outside Victoria), and take in the fantastic views from the TransCanada Highway (lots of viewpoints). Parksville is about a 2 hour drive from Victoria, about 20 minutes from Nanaimo and has a FANTASTIC beach. Stay at the Beach Club in Parksville if it fits your budget. Also check out the goats on the roof in Coombs and the excellent market there. Then you can take a different ferry, from Nanaimo to Vancouver back to the mainland again. Check out www.bcferries.com to see the routes.

Good luck! I hope that helps.

Suffolk, UK
Level Contributor
41 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vancouver Airport to Victoria

Oh dear. I'm a bit concerned now! Me and my boyfriend are flying into Vancouver early June and should arrive around 12pm, all being well with the flight. We had planned to then rent a car at the airport and drive to Victoria where we have a b and b booked. We've never been to the area before so will the journey really be that much? Maybe we would be better to take the coach to downtown Victoria but then we have the hassle of getting to the b and b then, which is 20 mins drive from the city. Would we be able to get a taxi easily? How much roughly do taxis cost for such a journey?

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vancouver Airport to Victoria

Hi there HamsScotland,

From personal experience, I would book into an airport hotel for the first night. I know you want to make the best of your time but after such a long flight and the time difference and three kids you will be shattered ! Especially as the journey involves a ferry crossing as well. You will then be able to start off on your trip refreshed next day.

Hope you have a great holiday!

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
416 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vancouver Airport to Victoria

Smileyglobetrotter:

Getting taxis in Victoria is indeed quite expensive. What I would recommend is taking the coach to downtown Victoria from the airport. This way if you are tired, you can rest on the coach as well as the ferry. When you get to the bus depot in Victoria, it's not necessary to take a taxi. If you were planning on renting a car anyway, there is a rental car agency across the street from the bus depot. It's called Budget Car and Truck Rental. Or go ahead and rent a car at Vancouver airport as planned and make sure you have a good coffee before hand as it will be a long trip to Victoria. I would recommend renting from Hertz as they provide you with a GPS which will hopefully guide you to your destination seamlessly.

10. Re: Vancouver Airport to Victoria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2009, 18:21