We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get to Victoria from So Cal?

Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
5 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to get to Victoria from So Cal?

My husband and I have limited vacation time and are wondering what is the best way to get from Southern California (where we live) to Victoria, BC in a way that lets us have a car when we're in Victoria. I have been trying to figure out the best combinations of flying (to Seattle?), ferries (with or without car? or with renting a car in Victoria?) etc. There seem to be many ways to put this trip together but I'd appreciate hearing advice from people who've done this and know what the most sensible way is. THANKS!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
28,005 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get to Victoria from So Cal?

While I've not done it myself, what I've read here on the forum is that it's very convenient to take the Clipper pedestrian ferry from Seattle to Victoria. Victoria itself is a very walkable city, so you would only need to rent a car for those days that you plan to head out beyond Victoria. I'm not sure about getting from SeaTac airport to the Clipper terminal. I would post in the Seattle forum for questions about that part.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
12,343 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get to Victoria from So Cal?

Agree with Vancouverite67 if you have limited time then fly to Seattle ( much better fares than into Victoria,) transfer to the Clipper and then rent car in Victoria. You won't need a car for right in town but it will be easy to pick and return there. You will have a lovely ferry ride through the San Juan Islands as a bonus. You could do the ferry round trip or you can also look at Kenmore air which flys from downtwon Victoria into Lake Union in Seattle.. you would simply need to take a cab from there to airport. here are links for you.

ttp://www.clippervacations.com/victoria_clipper_ferry_service

http://www.kenmoreair.com/

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
416 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to get to Victoria from So Cal?

Indeed, there are a number of options depending on your budget.

Firstly, you could fly from your local airport to San Francisco. United Airlines operates a twice daily non-stop San Francisco to Victoria service. You can rent a car at the airport.

If you live near Los Angeles or San Diego Airport, Allegiant Airlines offers incredibly cheap fares from these locations to Bellingham Airport which is actually closer to the Canadian border than Seattle. You could rent a car in Bellingham then come across on the BC Ferries.

If you live near Long Beach (use Jet Blue) or Orange Country (Southwest), fly to Seattle airport and then you can take a connecting flight via Horizon Air to Victoria and rent a car at Victoria Airport or find a way to downtown Seattle and then take the Clipper and rent a car in downtown Victoria.

I have travelled to Southern California flying out of Seattle or Bellingham and taking the BC Ferry. The BC Ferry is the most convenient because they have hourly sailings between the mainland and Vancouver Island in the summer. Therefore, regardless of what time your flight is, it is likely that you will have a seamless ferry connection. You may even find car rentals from the US to be cheaper than car rentals in Victoria. Just make sure that the rental agency allows you to cross the border. If it were me, I would look at Allegiant because you can often find round trip fares from only $99 US inc. taxes.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
79 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to get to Victoria from So Cal?

There is also the option of flying into Seattle or Portland and driving to Port Angeles for the Coho crossing.

Seattle has many flight connections daily to Victoria and I would highly recommend the direct flight from SFO on United. I have taken it and it soooo fast about 1 hr 45 min

5. Re: Best way to get to Victoria from So Cal?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 19:22