We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Queen Victoria hotel or Huntingdon hotel - Advise needed

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
162 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Queen Victoria hotel or Huntingdon hotel - Advise needed

Could someone give us an opinion on Queen Victoria Hotel on 655 Douglas St. vs. Huntingdon Hotel on 330 Quebec St in term of cleanliness, location, and parking safety? Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Victoria
Victoria
Vancouver Island, Canada
Victoria, BC Canada
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Queen Victoria hotel or Huntingdon hotel - Advise needed

I live here so can not comment on the hotels themselves. They are five blocks apart so any parking, location and safety issues will be the same. I suggest plugging the addresses into Google Maps and take a look at the area with the satellite option. They are both a block away from the inner harbour, the Huntingdon is behind the Coho terminal and the Queen Victoria is across the street from the Royal BC Museum.

Mentioned in this post
Victoria
Victoria
Vancouver Island, Canada
Royal BC Museum
Royal BC Museum
6,044 Reviews
Vancouver Island, Canada
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
416 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Queen Victoria hotel or Huntingdon hotel - Advise needed

I think your best bet on an opinion of either of the hotels is to rely on the Trip Advisor comments. May I ask why you have narrowed your selection down to these two hotels?

I have heard mixed reviews about both hotels. I think the Huntingdon hotel tends to be a little more dated than the Queen Victoria hotel. Both are in safe locations. The Queen Victoria is slightly closer to downtown and very close to Beacon Hill park if you like strolling around. If you're travelling with your family, they're practically right across from the Old Spaghetti Factory which is good value for families and it is also very close to the Victoria bus depot. I would consider the Queen Victoria to be more central than the Huntingdon.

The Huntingdon is located closer to the inner harbour which is convenient but personally I think our inner harbour is over rated. Yes, it is very nice and it is picturesque (perhaps I take it foregranted because I live here) but the truth is you can do most things in the inner harbour in a day. There is so much more to see in the city beyond the inner harbour especially in Victoria's old town and China town. Everything in downtown Victoria is for the most part within a 10-15 minute walking radius so location is typically a trivial issue unless you have specific needs.

As for parking safety, I would check with the individual hotels as to whether they offer secured parking and what the price of their parking is. But to be honest, Victoria is typically a safe place to park your vehicle and it is not something that you need to be concerned about.

Mentioned in this post
Victoria
Victoria
Vancouver Island, Canada
Beacon Hill Park
Beacon Hill Park
3,366 Reviews
Vancouver Island, Canada
The Old Spaghetti Factory
The Old Spaghetti Factory
1,108 Reviews
Vancouver Island, Canada
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
162 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Queen Victoria hotel or Huntingdon hotel - Advise needed

Hi dforce,

We narrowed down to those two hotels because they are within our budget, ~ $100 US/night and reasonable parking fee. We were hoping to stay at the Marriott but it's expensive. If you know of any other hotels, please recommend.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
416 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Queen Victoria hotel or Huntingdon hotel - Advise needed

Well I'm not sure what time of year you're travelling so that makes it challenging to make recommendations.

However, the mid-scale priced hotels in Victoria generally tend to be Queen Victoria, Huntingdon Hotel, Executive House Hotel, Chateau Victoria Hotel, Days Inn Inner Harbour, and Best Western Carlton Plaza. I would even consider trying the Oswego - it's a little on the fancier side but sometimes they have amazing deals.

If you go on Expedia and do your search, they will provide you with a good overview of the prices in the city. Sometimes you can also find multiple night discounts on Expedia which can't be found on hotel websites. I know the Best Western Carlton Plaza in the off season is sometimes as low as $68 per night if you book for 2 to 3 nights. Of course once you have narrowed your search on Expedia, then go to the hotel websites and compare prices between the two.

Mentioned in this post
Victoria
Victoria
Vancouver Island, Canada
Chateau Victoria Hotel and Suites
Chateau Victoria Hotel...
606 Reviews
Vancouver Island, Canada
Inner Harbour
Inner Harbour
4,460 Reviews
Vancouver Island, Canada
The Oswego Hotel
The Oswego Hotel
2,025 Reviews
Vancouver Island, Canada
vancouver, bc
Level Contributor
117 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Queen Victoria hotel or Huntingdon hotel - Advise needed

A few years ago we stayed at the Royal Scot Hotel. I highly recommend it. The only down side to the hotel was no air conditioning, but if your going soon that won't be a problem. It's in a great location, close to the inner harbor and the parliament buildings. The price right now is $72 on itravel2000 and expedia.

Mentioned in this post
Royal Scot Hotel & Suites
Royal Scot Hotel & Suites
1,421 Reviews
Vancouver Island, Canada
6. Re: Queen Victoria hotel or Huntingdon hotel - Advise needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 04:18