We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train journey from Victoria

Colchester, UK
Level Contributor
71 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Train journey from Victoria

We're visiting next week and we're interested in doing the train trip from Victoria on one of our days on Vancouver Island. If we go to Courtenay we will only have half an hour there and the journey is very long. Where would be the best station to get off the train and spend some time in an interesting place. Many thanks.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,502 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train journey from Victoria

Nanaimo. It's an easy walk from the train station to town and some shopping, the waterfront, the Bastion and other things. Depending on the amount of time you have you could also take the little 5 minute, person only ferry to Newcastle Island for a wander around.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,972 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train journey from Victoria

I know someone posted here - maybe as much as a year ago - about their day trip on the train. They got off in Nanaimo and said they had a really nice day wandering down to the harbour, etc. You might be able to track that post down by using search and trying words like "rail" "Nanaimo", etc. Then you can read their itinerary.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,656 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train journey from Victoria

Have a look at this:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g154945-i207-k2282…

Colchester, UK
Level Contributor
71 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train journey from Victoria

Thanks so much for the link. I'd searched the TA site previously but didn't find that. It looks like a perfect day out!

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
416 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train journey from Victoria

I would also consider Qualicum Beach for a stop. You won't get as much time as if you were in Nanaimo but it's a cute little town with lots of great little shops. It's a nice place to stop for lunch. If you get off the train in Nanaimo, you'll miss some great coastal scenery between Nanaimo and Qualicum Beach.

6. Re: Train journey from Victoria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2010, 06:33