We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seaplane from Victoria to Vancouver

LosAngeles, CA
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Seaplane from Victoria to Vancouver

We are looking at going from the Inner Harbour in Victoria to Vancover in late May. Been reading online about seaplanes, sounds like there are 2 airlines that do it. Any recommendations?

Also it seems as though helicopters are only between the Int'l airports, is that correct? We find the seaplane looks convenient since we won't have to travel far to get to our hotel in Vanc (we are staying at the Pan Pacific)

Thank you in advance

Milwaukee,WI.
Level Contributor
414 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Seaplane from Victoria to Vancouver

Though not a seaplane a small airline called Pacific Coastal flies this route.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,990 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seaplane from Victoria to Vancouver

Helicopter goes harbour to harbour but is a short cab ride from Victoria central. See www.helijet.com Harbour Air and Westcoast Air both run seaplanes harbour to harbour at the same posted rate. I've always used Harbour Air but for no particular reason. The seaplane companies use the same docks at both ends. The helicopter pad is the same 300 yard distance east of the Pan Pacific as the seaplane dock is to the west. The seaplane has a shuttle and the walk past the Olympic cauldron is prettier than the helicopter's industrial road. Moot, of course, if you take a $5 taxi from either.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seaplane from Victoria to Vancouver

I've useed both harbor Air and the Helijet.. both are really really beautiful flights. I prefer harbor air because I like planes better than helicopters. The Helijet landing in Victoria is very close to the inner harbor as mentioned a $5 cab ride It's a spectacular way to get from one city to the other without the 3 hour time used by taking the ferry.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
352 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Seaplane from Victoria to Vancouver

I've flown to Vancouver both ways and both have their advantages and disadvantages. For example, Helijet gives everyone earplugs to wear as it is very loud riding inside, but I find the helijet is a much smoother flight than the seaplanes.

Just be aware that the seaplanes and the helijet have weight restrictions on luggage (helijet - only 2 bags pp and 50 lbs total), so if you have a lot of luggage, this may not work for you.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
416 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seaplane from Victoria to Vancouver

Helijet operates a Victoria Harbour to Vancouver Harbour service as well as a Victoria Harbour to Vancouver Airport service. Helijet also offers a free shuttle in Victoria and Vancouver so you could likely avoid the cab. www.helijet.com

Harbour Air & West Coast Air operate Victoria Harbour to Vancouver Harbour OR Vancouver Airport (Richmond Floatplane base). The difference between the two is trivial. I like Harbour Air because you can ride in the co-pilot seat which is a spectacular view and they also have a free shuttle service in Vancouver. Each airline flies a different kind of aircraft but I don't find one to be more comfortable than the other.

Edited: 22 February 2010, 08:06
Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
4,191 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seaplane from Victoria to Vancouver

Harbour Air also has a shuttle in Victoria. As others above I prefer Harbour Air, though there is no significant reason to choose one over the other.

Phoenix
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seaplane from Victoria to Vancouver

My understanding is that there is a luggage weight limit of 25 pounds using the flight planes. As a tourist that is hard to meet unless you are a day visitor.

Victoria, Canada
Destination Expert
for Victoria, Port Angeles
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seaplane from Victoria to Vancouver

Harbour Air says:

Harbour Air's luggage allowance (per person):

• Between Vancouver/Victoria, Nanaimo, or the Gulf Islands is 25lbs (11.5kg)

* Between Richmond (YVR)/Victoria or Nanaimo is 50lbs (23kg) <------

• Between Langley/Victoria is 25lbs (11.5kg)

It's fun to go by helicopter if you've never done that before. Otherwise, I like the float plane, it just seems more fun.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,797 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Seaplane from Victoria to Vancouver

It looks like the HA float plane that takes heavier luggage allowance leaves from their Richmond hub on the Fraser River, south of the South Airport at YVR. They have a shuttle between their float and the airport and will deliver you to/from either the airport or Canada Line.

10. Re: Seaplane from Victoria to Vancouver

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2010, 07:16