We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help - suite hotel and restaurant suggestion

usa
Level Contributor
197 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Please help - suite hotel and restaurant suggestion

HI- we are a senior couple with 4 adult daughter's. We are coming to Butchart Gardens in early May, and will need a room for one night.

Is there a Suite type hotel that can accomodate us as a group, that is suitable?

We are treating the girls and need to be budget minded, but we may not get this chance again, and want it to be a special trip.

I appreciate any good hotel suggestions and a good suggestion for dinner.

Thanks so much for any help.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
416 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help - suite hotel and restaurant suggestion

That sounds like a fantastic trip!

If you are on a budget, I would recommend the Travelodge on the Gorge. You'll save money by staying outside of downtown.

I believe they have one bedroom suites which features a full kitchen, one separate bedroom with a queen bed, and two double size sofa beds. I believe that should be sufficient to accommodate six. You could probably get an extra cot in there if necessary. Alternatively, I think there is also a standard room with three queen beds. Parking is free which is another benefit of not staying downtown. It's quicker to get to Butchart Gardens from the Gorge too - less traffic. Also, the hotel has a pool, and saunas and pretty good view of the inner harbour.

Anyway, if you prefer to be downtown, I also recommend Best Western Carlton Plaza and Royal Scot Suites. My preference is the Carlton Plaza because they tend to have better prices and it is better positioned for accessibility to highway 17 which takes you to Butchart Gardens. I believe the Carlton Plaza's family suite with two queen beds would suit your needs. It's two queen size beds and a pull out double sofa. There is also a suite with two doubles and a pull out sofa which would also fit six and would be slightly cheaper. The Carlton Plaza suites also offer kitchens.

Edited: 28 February 2010, 04:17
Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,247 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help - suite hotel and restaurant suggestion

Our preference would be the Royal Scot or Helms Inn. Both are excellent accommodation providers and have great rates for Victora. The Admiral Motel is another good choice

usa
Level Contributor
197 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help - suite hotel and restaurant suggestion

Thanks so much. The daughter's are grown with families and jobs, and we do not get the opportunity to spend much time with them. We have a short 5 days and would like to find a family suite that would accomodate all of us if possible.

Yes, we do need to be budget minded, but I do also want it to be a nice trip that the girls will always remember. Thanks for any suggestions to help make this a very special trip for our family!!

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help - suite hotel and restaurant suggestion

We just booked at the Harbour towers, good selection of rooms and great deals for that time. They have a 2 bdrm that looks very nice.

usa
Level Contributor
197 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help - suite hotel and restaurant suggestion

Thanks- I'll check into that!! Appreciate the help.

Seattle, Wash.
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help - suite hotel and restaurant suggestion

We're frequent Victoria visitors, and I always choose the Royal Scot for my family on return visits. They have full-on suites with full kitchens and a dining spaces, the rooms are very clean, there's a pool downstairs. I really like this hotel a lot.

usa
Level Contributor
197 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please help - suite hotel and restaurant suggestion

Thanks so much - I will check that out. Is there a good and reasonable hotel in Victoria that has rooms with a good view? I will also check out Royal Scot-thanks again!

Victoria
Level Contributor
20 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please help - suite hotel and restaurant suggestion

I would think the Royal Scot will be your best bet for a suite hotel...2 bedroom suite in May will be $200 + change, for a 900 sq/ft room...they have 2 bed/2 bath options too...good deal IMO...as for a view, try the Hotel Grand Pacific, no suites really though...or the Delta Ocean Pointe for a different perspective...(also, prob no suites for all of you though) Why not do the view and restaurant at the same time?? Try Vista 18 (up high) or even Milestones (on the inner harbour)...Good luck! Lots of choices here...

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
416 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please help - suite hotel and restaurant suggestion

Although the Royal Scot 2 bedroom suite sounds like an ideal fit to suit needs, $200 for early May seems quite steep in my opinion for a family on a budget. The Delta and Hotel Grand Pacific certainly wouldn't be any better.

I'm going to give you a couple of tips. The hotel industry in Victoria is not in the greatest shape at the moment. Although rates are still quite high, the hotels are not by any means sold out. Use Internet rates as a reference but call the hotel directly and see how far they're willing to go in terms of discounts or waiving extra charges. The main issue you face is the typical extra person charge which is usually around $10 to $20 extra per person. Since hotels price on double occupancy, that could mean an additional $40 to $80 on the room rate each night for your family. I'm not sure if that quotation on the Royal Scot included extra persons but don't forget there's also another 15% tax on top of that.

I would recommend calling cheaper hotels like the Best Western or the Travelodge which both offer rooms that could suit your needs although perhaps not as comfortably as the Royal Scot. Tell them your story and ask them if they would be willing to cut you a break. I'm sure one of them would oblige and perhaps be willing to waive the extra person charges at the very least. The trick in hotels is knowing what to ask but the fact is.....if you don't ask....you don't get! It never hurts to try. I think Travelodge is at $129 for a room that meets your needs.

If you can go in late April, I found a coupon online that can get you an extra $20.10 off at either one of those hotels. See below:

mayfairhotelsandresorts.com/hotel-promotion.…

usa
Level Contributor
197 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please help - suite hotel and restaurant suggestion

JammerVictoria, thanks so much for the tips.