We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips/Ideas for a Budget Trip

PNW
9 posts
Save Topic
Tips/Ideas for a Budget Trip

Well, life happened and we're now needing to be a little more on top of how much we spend on our upcoming vacation.

We have a condo rented in downtown. There will be four adults (one arthritic/low stamina and one pregnant/cranky) and a 2.5 year old. We'll be there for a week late March early April.

We've all been to Victoria before and have a basic familiarity, have seen the main sites. We'll also all probably be back again, so it's not like we need to cover any MUST DOs, iykwim.

So far on my list;

Beacon Hill park/Petting Zoo

Chinatown

Dallas Road

Red Fish Blue Fish

Hernandez's

Foo

Devour

Pig

La Belle Patate

1/2 price Brunch at Aura

Any other cheap or low cost suggestions? Any deals or special offers going on?

We also need a rec for a good downtown grocery to stock up on staples. Is there any chance any farmer's markets will be open yet?

TIA!

Sechelt, BC
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast
Level Contributor
3,031 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tips/Ideas for a Budget Trip

Not sure if your little one is old enough but my kids loved it when we visited (they were 7 & 9 at the time) How about the Bug Zoo?

http://www.bugzoo.bc.ca/

We loved Fort Rodd Hill too. The last time we were there it was free but I believe there is a small charge to enter the Lighthouse.

http://www.fortroddhill.com/index.html

This site lists a few other free attractions that you may find interesting: The Government House has beautiful gardens – (we were married there in the rose garden 25 years ago – it was a stunning setting)

vacationrentalsvictoria.ca/attractions/victo…

Sechelt, BC
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast
Level Contributor
3,031 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tips/Ideas for a Budget Trip

Sorry about that – I just re-read your post and I doubt you will see many roses blooming during your stay – but there are plenty of other gardens that you might enjoy at the Government House

ltgov.bc.ca/gardens/individual-gardens.htm

Enjoy your visit.

Victoria, BC Canada
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tips/Ideas for a Budget Trip

I don't think there will be any farmer's markets going then. It's a little early for local produce. There are a few Barn Markets (Red Barn, Mitchell Farms and the Root Celler) that are open all year that import produce until they have local stuff.

Will you have a car? All of these markets are out of the downtown area. There is a Thrifty Foods grocery store in James Bay at 475 Simco St. I think that would be the closest. It's a few blocks behind the parliment buildings

PNW
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tips/Ideas for a Budget Trip

Thanks for the help so far. Fort Rodd has been added to the list! And the attractions link was very helpful.

We will have a car, the thought of walking on the ferry with a week worth of luggage and a toddler was too much for me, LOL.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
416 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tips/Ideas for a Budget Trip

John's Place has a great inexpensive breakfast and it is one of the most popular ones in town.

The Inner Harbour and Empress Hotel are nice places to walk through which won't cost you anything. Go online to the website of the BC Legislature, they do fantastic tours for free.

Ghostly Walks are also very good and not too expensive. It's a nice walking tour.

Hatley Castle on the West Shore is also a neat place to visit with great views. It only costs you money if you want to tour inside.

Mount Doug Park or Mount Tolmie are free places where you can get panoramic views of the surrounding area. Try the scenic drive as well along Beach Drive.

Go to Pizzeria Prima Strada in Cook Street Village - it is fantastic!

Wharfside Eatery offers cheap seafood if you ask for the local menu -- but don't say you're from out of town! Steak and Lobster - $20 or 3 course for $18.

Grocery Shopping downtown: Not much choice.....Market on Yates. Or depending where your condo is, there is a Thrifty Foods in James Bay or Oxford Foods in Cook Street Village. Oxford is very cheap. You might also try China town for some ingredients. If you are coming on the ferry, stop in the Saanich Peninsula and they have some farmers markets that sell fresh vegetables.

Take a look at this website: 118 things to do in Victoria....lots of great inexpensive and free ideas!

http://www.islandnet.com/~victourism/mall/101ideas.htm

When you're at the petting zoo, be sure to bring a loaf of bread to feed the ducks across from the petting zoo in Beacon Hill Park.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,664 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tips/Ideas for a Budget Trip

I'll add my vote for Fort Rodd Hill and the Fisguard Lighthouse. Thought it was a worthwhile day in good weather. We did it when DD was a toddler and thought it was a perfect day. Lots of room to run around and be a kid and still interesting for the parents. But there is a fair bit of walking to do, so it may not suit the less mobile members of the party.

(And, if I may, bread is VERY bad for birds. Seeds are a far better choice. I'll bore you with the biology of it if you care--stop reading now if you don't. :>

Flight is a high-energy mode of getting around and birds need to be small and light to make it work. Bread is high volume but low nutrition and calorie, so they can fill up on bread but not actually have enough energy to support their needs. So, they can literally starve to death on full stomachs. Also happens to deer in the winter who fill up on sticks)

Charlottetown...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tips/Ideas for a Budget Trip

What about a babysitting service? Looking for a night out with just the adults, wondering if anyone knows of a trusted agency/service.

Thanks!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,151 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tips/Ideas for a Budget Trip

My suggestion is to enquire of your hotel. They will have many requests for babysitting. If they don't, other hotels will offer it.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tips/Ideas for a Budget Trip

Hi Kaja32,

Welcome to the VICTORIA TRAVEL FORUM.

All great ideas so far...

TA TIP - I see you are fairly new to TA having joined recently... and have you have said this is a "Budget Trip" you might also find the Non-Destination FORUMS helpful... there is a FORUM dedicated to BARGAIN TRAVEL... to get there click on FORUMS HOME (click on that word above the Topics List for the VICTORIA FORUM... it is part of what we call "the breadcrumbs listing"... FORUMS HOME - BC FORUMS - VANCOUVER ISLAND FORUM... they are in blue writing).

The FORUMS HOME Page will have two lists... the left side is the DESTINATION FORUMS... the right BEYOND DESTINATIONS

By clicking on SEE ALL in the BEYOND DESTINATIONS List you'll be taken to a long list of FORUMS dedicated to specialty topics (ie AIR TRAVEL - BEACH VACATIONS - CRUISES - FAMILY TRAVEL - SENIOR TRAVEL - TRAIN TRAVEL - and an assortment of TA FORUMS as well).

The BARGAIN TRAVEL FORUM has an assortment of topics from around the world.... don't know if there is anything specific at this time for Victoria, BC (you could always do a SEARCH) but it does have a helpful thread on "Budget Travel Tips" = tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g1-i12290-k2679942-… and like every other FORUM on TA, a lot of great folks willing to help ya out with your Trip Plans.

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,151 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tips/Ideas for a Budget Trip

kaja ~

Sorry, I've just happened to read your OP and see you've got a condo, not a hotel room. That makes things a little more difficult. This question came up a while ago on the forum and it was quite hard to come up with a RELIABLE suggestion.

Off the top of my head, I would ask the condo owner/agency about it.