We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

road biking british columbia

california
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
road biking british columbia

I'm looking to bike BC or Victoria Island in July. My friends and I would like some good paved trails, or safe streets. We will be self-contained and would like to bike about 5 days, 20-40 miles per day. Any suggestions?

vancouver
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,766 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: road biking british columbia

first of all its vancouver island which is located in the province of british columbia aka (bc)

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,749 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: road biking british columbia

You mean *Vancouver* Island.

Start here- http://cyclevancouverisland.ca/

Sechelt, BC
Level Contributor
746 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: road biking british columbia

The Galloping Goose trail is an extensive trail network that covers southern Vancouver Island from the ferry terminal to Victoria and out to Sooke. Being rather young and growing up in Canada I have no concept of miles but thanks to google I now know this is 30 - 65 kilometers.

So if you want to bike for 5 days the Galloping Goose trail may only be a part of your travels. But it is flat, safe and provides access to some beautiful scenery.

www.crd.bc.ca/parks/galloping-goose/index.htm

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,653 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: road biking british columbia

You've posted on the Victoria forum, but given your geographic uncertainty, are you looking to bike the Vancouver Island part of BC or the mainland (Vancouver and surroundings) part of BC? The advice you get will be different. Vancouver Island is about a 4 hour journey, one way, including a 1.5 hour ferry ride, from Vancouver.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,977 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: road biking british columbia

The Kettle Valley Railway is a converted railway trail that crosses through the coast mountains and into the interior around the Okanagan for many options of multiple days of cycling with either camping or fixed roof accommodation.

http://www.kettlevalleyrailway.ca/

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
74,287 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: road biking british columbia

"I'm looking to bike BC..."

Hi californiadreamin57;

FYI...British Columbia is;

• 944,735 sq. Km / 364,764 sq mi.

• larger than the states of California, Oregon and Washington combined.

Best Regards

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,749 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: road biking british columbia

The KVR is a great idea I love those gentle grades and there are some outstanding views in places-also lotsa wildlife viewing opportunities.

However with so many spurs in southern BC some careful research and committed decision making is imperative.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,977 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: road biking british columbia

Yes, the KVR is definitely a trail in progress and you need to do your research in advance. The section from Rock Creek around to Penticton is probably the most developed and well used.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
416 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: road biking british columbia

If you are planning to do the Galloping Goose Trail, stay on the Gorge as the hotels are cheaper and the Travelodge Victoria and the Howard Johnson are located right beside the Galloping Goose - very conveniently located for exploration.

10. Re: road biking british columbia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2010, 06:22