We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

check this out!!! we are #1!!!

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
check this out!!! we are #1!!!

Victoria No. 1 on TripAdvisor

By Darron Kloster, Times Colonist May 8, 2010

TripAdvisor has named Victoria the Best Travel Destination in Canada -- and the 24th best place to visit in the world -- in its 2010 Traveller's Choice Awards. The lofty praise from one of the world's most popular travel websites arrives as the tourist season gets underway and operators cross their fingers for more visitors.

The City of Gardens also finished No. 2 behind Quebec City for best culture and sight-seeing in Canada. Vancouver, Ottawa and Montreal followed.

Rankings were based on the reviews of travellers and a popularity index based on hotel reviews, travel stories and opinions gleaned from the web. "It's still one of the most British cities in North America, but there's more to Victoria than tearooms, antique shops and galleries (though there are plenty of those)," TripAdvisor editors said. "Driven by the younger generation, the city has sprouted a collection of cool shops, authentic coffee bars and unique restaurants. It also has more cycling routes than any other Canadian city, providing a great way to explore the picturesque location (and avoid an afternoon of antique shopping)."

Finishing 24th overall in the world put Victoria with some incredible company. To put this in perspective, Monaco was No. 1 and Capetown, South Africa No. 25. Rome was ninth and St. Petersburg 17th.

Butchart Gardens, the Royal British Columbia Museum and Eagle Wing Whale Watching Tours were mentioned as "don't miss."

Meanwhile, local tourist businesses also earned TripAdvisor rankings -- Abbeymoore Manor Bed & Breakfast Inn was first in Canada and No. 2 in the world under the Best B&B and Inns category; Royal Scot Hotel and Suites scored a No. 5 Canadian ranking in the Family Hotel category; and Brentwood Bay Lodge & Spa was eighth best in Canada under the Luxury Hotel Category.

Brentwood Bay also scored a AAA Four Diamond ranking for a third straight year and has been included in Expedia's Insider Select list, an elite group of hotels that represent the top one per cent of hotel's on Expedia's site. --

Kind of made me feel all warm and fuzzy

:)

Edited: 08 May 2010, 18:23
Mentioned in this post
Quebec City
Quebec City
Quebec, Canada
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Monaco
Monaco
Europe
Eagle Wing Whale Watching Tours
Eagle Wing Whale...
2,009 Reviews
Vancouver Island, Canada
Abbeymoore Manor Bed and Breakfast Inn
Abbeymoore Manor Bed and...
1,295 Reviews
Vancouver Island, Canada
BC Whale Tours
Dolphin & Whale Watching
Orca Spirit Adventures
Dolphin & Whale Watching, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Prince of Whales Whale Watching
Boat Tours, Eco Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
Sea King Adventures
Boat Hire, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Fishing Charters & Tours
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
64,322 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: check this out!!! we are #1!!!

Very nice! It's my #1 local destination too. I am not in the least surprised.

Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
4,899 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: check this out!!! we are #1!!!

Can't really argue with anything on that list. Congrats Victoria.

And yes there are some great B&B's there too...

Shawnigan Lake...
Level Contributor
5,578 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: check this out!!! we are #1!!!

Awwwwww.... I KNEW there was a reason I moved back here 10 years ago :)

Lovely sunny day for Mother's Day outing, going down to Blue Fish Red Fish for lunch, walk around Inner Harbour then over to Fisherman's Wharf to feed the seals, maybe a stop at Beacon Drive Inn for an amazing ice cream cone, doesn't get better then that :)

Thanks for posting what we locals have known all along :)

Edited: 09 May 2010, 17:19
Mentioned in this post
Red Fish Blue Fish
Red Fish Blue Fish
2,371 Reviews
Vancouver Island, Canada
Inner Harbour
Inner Harbour
4,435 Reviews
Vancouver Island, Canada
Fisherman's Wharf
Fisherman's Wharf
3,358 Reviews
Vancouver Island, Canada
Sechelt, BC
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast
Level Contributor
3,231 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: check this out!!! we are #1!!!

Beautiful city for sure – deserving honour. My annual June trip will be delayed due to Grad plans this year and I will miss it. I love your museum – it is one of my favourites and I visit every chance I get.

Uh – just one thing – you must have some really fat seals floating around Fisherman’s Wharf – seems everyone heads down there to feed them. I think I will go check them out next time I am in town.

Congrats Victoria – well done eh!

Edited: 10 May 2010, 19:35
Phoenix
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Pinetop-Lakeside
Level Contributor
2,965 posts
341 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: check this out!!! we are #1!!!

Congrats! We're looking forward to checkout out your beautiful city this July. I know it's going to be great!

California
Level Contributor
85 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: check this out!!! we are #1!!!

I'm not surprised. We were so impressed with Victoria (the last port on an Alaskan Cruise we took) in the short time we were there, we returned the next month for a week's stay combined with Seattle. Stayed at the Delta, used the water taxis and enjoyed their Saturday morning ballet, visited the incredible Royal BC Museum, went on a very successful whale watch, visited Butchart, had cocktails in the lounge at the Empress, enjoyed a wonderful jazz trio at Pagliacci, shopped on Government Street, toured the beautiful Parliament Buildings, took a carriage ride, shopped at the artisans' booths in Bastion Square, had a wonderful meal (washed down with Guiness) at the Irish Times, etc.

I could go on, but I'm sure you get the idea that Victoria is one of our favorite cities!

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Royal BC Museum
Royal BC Museum
6,012 Reviews
Vancouver Island, Canada
Government Street
Government Street
796 Reviews
Vancouver Island, Canada
Bastion Square
Bastion Square
247 Reviews
Vancouver Island, Canada
7. Re: check this out!!! we are #1!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 November 2010, 05:15