We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

courtney/ comox area

Which Victoria hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ZAW
BC
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Topic
courtney/ comox area

We are in this area for 1 full day, making our way to Parksville. Any ideas for a couple with a 2 year old. i heard there were falls somewhere????

Thank you.

Victoria
Level Contributor
64 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: courtney/ comox area

You are probably referring to Stotem Falls (Stotan Falls,. Skokum Falls) near Courtenay... there are several ways to spell it. If you Google "Courtenay BC Stotan Falls", and then click on "images" on the toolbar, you will see some pictures of it. It's a very popular watering hole with the locals...

Since you are travelling with a toddler, I would suggest that you might want to go to the Goose Spit in Comox, or Miracle Beach (near Saratoga) when the tide is low and take advantage of the warm waters and sandy beaches. Great for building sandcastles.

Stop at the tourist info centre on Cliffe Avenue in Courtenay and ask about the location of these places and about low tide hours.

Have fun, we lived there for awhile and loved the area, the people, and the warm ocean waters.

zb

Victoria, Canada
Destination Expert
for Victoria, Port Angeles
Level Contributor
1,346 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: courtney/ comox area

if you would like more suggestions, consider posting to the Comox forum at tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g499153-i14192-Com…

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,149 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: courtney/ comox area

Hi ZAW !

I notice that the BC Tourism website has not been mentioned yet. This page is open to Vancouver Island. There is a list down the left that includes things to do. And a listing for attractions.

hellobc.com/en-CA/…VancouverIsland.htm

For your Sunshine Coast segment, have a look here.

hellobc.com/en-CA/RegionsCities/VancouverCoa…

This might help you browse for activities that appeal to you.

Victoria
Level Contributor
64 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: courtney/ comox area

Hi again,

Forgot tp mention on my previous post about the Comox Valley website. Go to www.discovercomoxvalley.com and click on the video icon on the top right hand corner of the home page.

There is a brief clip of the falls toward the end. Enjoy!

zb

New Westminster...
Level Contributor
542 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: courtney/ comox area

If you Google "falls Parksville" you'll see references to Englishman River Falls and Little Qualicum Falls. I'm betting those are the ones you heard of. But I'd only do that at high tide. At low tide, you will all want to be out on the sand, looking for squirting clams and sand dollars, or flying a kite, or building sand castles. The tide goes WAY, WAY out and there's lots of room. Also a good playground at the south end of the beach.

victoria, bc
Level Contributor
1,811 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: courtney/ comox area

It sounds like you are coming from Victoria.." making your way up to Parksville."

I second that it must be Englishman Falls that you've heard about..

http://www.vancouverisland.com/parks/?id=282

I've scrambled around the Falls in the past, there are different trails to take, be prepared, you may end up carrying your kiddo for part of the hike. Two year old legs can tire out fast!

Edited: 27 June 2010, 18:12
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,858 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: courtney/ comox area

We have taken our kids to Englishman River falls, several times. Personally the trails there can be harry if you have an impulsive run ahead type toddler... there are steep drops.

8. Re: courtney/ comox area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 December 2010, 05:16