We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mobile telephone calls

Which Victoria hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sutton Coldfield...
Level Contributor
509 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
mobile telephone calls

I will be using my mobile phone with a one roam card which we use when we are overseas, as it picks up one of the mobile users in the country we are in As we have arranged for our hotel to pick us up from victoria bus station and we have to call them when we arrive and I would like to know do we have to put the canadian code in before we dial the number?

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,361 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mobile telephone calls

with a GSM mobile phone, the standard method to dial a Canadian number is " +1xxx xxx xxxx" . This works with any SIM card, assuming your roaming card is not the call-back type.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,332 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mobile telephone calls

In BC you do need the area code but not the '1' to make a local call.

So in Victoria you would dial 250-xxx-xxxx to reach your shuttle bus.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,710 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mobile telephone calls

With a land phone making a local call a "1" in front of the area code will get a recorded message telling you it is a local call and try again without the "1". With a mobile phone a local call will go through with or without a "1" before the area code.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,361 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mobile telephone calls

>> I will be using my mobile phone with a one roam card

Good luck without dialing ''1" using that card(an Estonian based provider) on your mobile phone. From their official website:

"Our Global SIM card uses a clever process called 'call back'. .....

Every time you make a call:

1. Dial the number using the full international code (even if you are in that country).

For example, to dial the UK number 0845 6583410 from anywhere in the world you will need to dial 00 44 845 6583410"

Perhaps read the question carefully and do some research, if you've never used roaming outside the country.

Edited: 30 August 2010, 21:09
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,750 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mobile telephone calls

I know nothing about international cell phone calling. But I read this and had an immediate question.

Will you be required to place a "long distance" call from Victoria to Victoria because your call will be "originating" from the UK and using the roaming feature? I'm not sure at all, but that sounds expensive?

6. Re: mobile telephone calls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2011, 06:18