We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Howard Johnson Gorge Rd

Which Victoria hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Alberta
Level Contributor
663 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Howard Johnson Gorge Rd

I usually stay in the Inner Harbour and walk. I'm staying at the Howard Johnson this visit as I had points that were expiring. Its always fun to try new areas and discover new things. I will have a vehicle, however I am wondering if there is anything in the area that is convenient to walk to. thanks.

Victoria, BC Canada
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,122 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Howard Johnson Gorge Rd

The mall is over the hill and you can take the galloping goose trail to the inner harbour. It's about a 20 min walk. It's mostly a residential area.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
416 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Howard Johnson Gorge Rd

There is plenty to see and explore in the Gorge area depending what you are interested in.

As previously mentioned, Mayfair Shopping Centre is probably a 10-15 minute walk over the hill on Jutland Rd.

The Howard Johnson is located very close to the Galloping Goose Trail which is great just for general walking or if you want to go downtown. I would allow about 25 minutes for a walk to downtown.

You can also board Victoria Harbour Ferry from points along the Galloping Goose including the Railyards stop which is just past the Selkirk Trestle bridge. Fares to downtown are $6.

Glo Europub & Grill is about 5-10 minutes from the Howard Johnson in the Selkirk Area. You can also rent kayaks or canoes from the paddling centre in the same area. Pizzeria Prima Strada is also located nearby and it is fantastic. Upper Deck Sports Lounge at the Travelodge has fantastic cheesecake!

There is also a free shuttle to downtown that leaves from in front of the Travelodge at 9:15am and 9:45am every morning. It`s actually operated by Big Bus so if you were wanting to do a hop on hop off tour, all you have to do is remain on the bus and pay the tour fee. The shuttle also connects with tours to the Butchart Gardens.

In the opposite direction is the Gorge Waterway Park which in my opinion is the most picturesque neighbourhood in Victoria. I would suggest driving your car to the park (about 5 minute drive) and then park it and walk along the scenic Gorge Waterway.

3. Re: Howard Johnson Gorge Rd

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2011, 04:16