We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When in October to visit Victoria?

Which Victoria hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
When in October to visit Victoria?

I have 2 weekends to choose from in October I can go to Victoria with my wife for our first trip to Victoria. Question is..which weekend? The first option is next weekend (10/1-10/2) and the other is the 3rd weekend of the month (10/23-10/24). What do you guys think we should do? We're coming from Seattle on the Victoria Clipper to take advantage of their fall sale and staying at the Hotel Grand Pacific. We initially were leaning for the weekend closer to Halloween to be able to go on the Discover the Past Ghost bus tour but were worried a little about weather later in the month. Plus it helps that I just found out that Ghost walk tours are offered pretty much every night so we can do that instead. What do you guys think? Is the Ghost bus tour really that much better? Are there potentially more things to do earlier in October or later in October? I guess it really doesn't matter as I'm sure Victoria is lovely but just want to hear from you guys and what your thoughts are if you were in my shoes. Thanks!

Seattle
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: When in October to visit Victoria?

Oh yeah I forgot to ask too...do you think we should go out of our way to visit Butchart Gardens in either weekend or is there not much to see/do there during this time of year with potential rain and the season? Will there be enough of sights and scenery in Inner Harbour to keep us busy for our overnight trip or should we explore beyond? Thanks again.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
55,474 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When in October to visit Victoria?

If I were in your shoes I would come earlier. Having said that there is no guarantee for the weather, either rain or dry. Have a look on the Vancouver forum I think, for my diary of today's weather adventure! Only in Vancouver!! The thread is called something like "Nervous about weather ..." Victoria usually is more windy than rainy so perhaps pack gloves, hat and scarf as backup.

Here are some highlights:

Inner Harbour Causeway - without the summer buskers and entertainers

Butchart Gardens - 40 minutes to get there and 1.5 hours on site. There are 2 restaurant options on the grounds and a great gift shop. Gray Line West has a shuttle express from downtown Vic to the Gardens.

Royal BC Museum - a must see. Allow 1.5 to 2 hours. Gift shop has local crafts, jewelry and books

Craigdarroch Castle - 15 minutes away from downtown, open 10-4 I think.

Helmcken House - may or may not be open.

Emily Carr House - 15 minutes walk down Government St (away from the city) and may or may not be open

The Victoria Bug Zoo http://www.bugzoo.bc.ca/

Miniature World - in the east side entrance of the Empress, cleverly crafted dioramas of theme scenes: circus, country fair, battle fields, a big continuous display joined by a miniature train on the track "across" the 10 prairies of Canada, Space, castles, Olde London.

The Empress lobby (up the spiral staircase and along the hall to the "old" lobby)

You could also take an hour harbour tour on the Victoria Harbour ferry. It will take you up as far as the Upper Gorge, the captain shares a lot of information and there is some wildlife to see, if it cooperates.

Our Thanksgiving is Oct 11 so that weekend will be particularly busy, but it looks like you are not considering that weekend.

Butchart does a pretty impressive job no matter what the season. You can see on their website what they do by the season.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
416 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When in October to visit Victoria?

I would come the third weekend as hotel rates will be significantly lower and I can`t say there is a real benefit to coming the first weekend of October. You`ll also hit the Ghosts of Victoria Festival which is a lot of fun!

Check out www.discoverthepast.com for more information.

Seattle
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: When in October to visit Victoria?

Thanks..I was planning late October now anyways due to some last minute things next week that came up. But thank you both for the reply. I'm sure it'll be fun and we'll have plenty to do. Just curious..is there anything special with Ghosts of Victoria Festival we should do/see? or is it just when there are more ghost walking tours/bus tours than normal?

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,148 posts
414 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: When in October to visit Victoria?

Weather's looking pretty good this weekend!

Sechelt, BC
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast
Level Contributor
2,952 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: When in October to visit Victoria?

We are heading into Victoria this weekend and I was hoping the weather would be a bit warmer than usual and maybe some breaks in the cloud cover.

Yup - as Dave mentions - weather break this weekend is forecast and what the heck is up with these wonderful warm evenings? Walked outside Saturday evening and if felt almost tropical with the rain pouring and the warm air but as you are from Seattle kopacetic you are experiencing the same. If only for the weather - I would try for this weekend if I was in your shoes.

7. Re: When in October to visit Victoria?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 March 2011, 05:21