We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel from Seattle to Victoria and Vancover

Which Victoria hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boiling Springs Pa
Level Contributor
31 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
travel from Seattle to Victoria and Vancover

We are flying into Seattle Washington from Pa on August 6. We intend to stay in Seattle 4-5 days.

I would like to be able to take public transportation(ex ferry,train, bus) to Victoria Canada for about 4-5 days then to Vancover for about the same time period and then back to seattle by the 22nd of August for our flight home. My question, is this something I can accomplish by public transportation or do we need to rent a car?

We both love to walk and explore new places. I am thinking of staying in B&B in Canada.

Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
24,348 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: travel from Seattle to Victoria and Vancover

the best way from Seattle to Victoria is the Victoria Clipper a high speed passenger ferry which leaves right from downtown Seattle.

http://www.clippervacations.com/

you can then take a ferry from Victoria to Vancouver and then Amtrak back to Seattle.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,351 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel from Seattle to Victoria and Vancover

If you put your proposed route into the "search" box at the top right of the BC forum you'll get tons of past info about doing this. It's a very common circle trip. As noted best is Clipper from Seattle to Victoria, then Pacific Coach lines bus from Victoria, through to ferry and then onto Vancouver then Amtrak from Vancouver to Seattle. Right now we have 2 amtrak per day but is probably going to be cut back to one which will arrive in Seattle late and you may have to overnight there before flying out.

You may also want to rent a car for a day or 2 while in Victoria to drive up island and see other areas..imo 5 days in Victoria alone is too much..2 in the town proper would be about right then another 2 to either drive the Pacific Marine Circle or drive up to Nanaimo and Qualicum area.

No car required for Victoria or Vancouver

Boiling Springs Pa
Level Contributor
31 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travel from Seattle to Victoria and Vancover

Thank you very much.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,234 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travel from Seattle to Victoria and Vancover

If you want a spectacular sightseeing trip in itself, consider taking the seaplane between Vic and Van (35 minutes from the Inner Harbour to Vancouver harbour)

harbour-air.com

PCL cut back their service this year from every hour in high season to every 2 hours, so keep that in mind. It's a great service that takes you the whole way, downtown to downtown, with luggage underneath for the duration. The ferry is nice, with lounges, cafeteria, gift shop, outdoor promenade deck. PCL does not take reservations, you just walk up to the ticket counter. My suggestion is you drop by about 40 minutes before your bus leaves. They never sell out, simply bring in a second bus if they need to. A Friday/Sunday travel day will be much more busy than Saturday or a weekday in the summer.

Edited: 14 October 2010, 20:56
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,234 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travel from Seattle to Victoria and Vancover

PCL cut back their service this year from every hour in high season to every 2 hours, so keep that in mind --- because the ferries will be running every hour.

Victoria, BC Canada
Level Contributor
39 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: travel from Seattle to Victoria and Vancover

The Clipper is the best way to get from Seattle to Victoria. Keep in mind that they only operate twice a day, so you'll have to plan your trip accordingly. The ride is very enjoyable, and you can get a large 'snack basket' for a very reasonable price. All the coffee refills are free. It's clean, comfortable and very efficient. The passenger ferry arrives in downtown Victoria and it's a short walking distance to most hotels (or very inexpensive cab ride).

You can pretty much walk everywhere in downtown Victoria. If you want to get out and see some of the major attractions, a really good option is the 'hop-on-hop-off' bus tours. It's good for two days, and the buses come by every 15 minutes so it is very convenient. I recently hosted a group of 20 and toured them around the city. We got a tour of James Bay, Antique Row, Craigdarroch Castle where we hopped off, then hopped back on to go to Oak Bay for lunch, then back downtown by mid-afternoon. You see a lot and the tour is fully narrated. There are at least two tour operators that offer this:

http://bigbusvictoria.ca

http://www.graylinewest.com

There are some express buses from Victoria to the ferry. I think it's about $2.75 a person, but double check with BC Transit:

busonline.ca/regions/…ferries.cfm

Travel to the Ferries: Board the #70, #72 or #73 on Douglas Street. Buses stop on Douglas Street at Belleville, Courtney, Fort, Pandora and Fisgard streets, and at all bus stops between Fisgard and the Ferry Terminal.

Please note that a taxi will cost you about $50 - $60 each way, so it's not cheap. There are no shuttles that will take you to the ferry. The AKAL Airporter will get you as far as the airport for $19 each, but then you'd have to get a cab to Swartz Bay Ferry Terminal, which is probably another $25 on top of that.

Once you arrive on the other side in Vancouver, there is an extremely efficient transit system. Light Rapid Transit is everywhere and the bus service is highly coordinated.

I believe there is rail service between Vancouver and Seattle:

http://www.amtrakcascades.com/

Enjoy your stay in our country!

7. Re: travel from Seattle to Victoria and Vancover

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 May 2011, 05:15