We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our Experience of Afternoon Tea At The Empress

Which Victoria hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Canmore, Alberta
Destination Expert
for Canmore
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Our Experience of Afternoon Tea At The Empress

This is the second time we have enjoyed afternoon tea at the Empress. Yes, it is a tad bit pricey, but we enjoyed it just as much this time. I have posted a blog with photos if anyone is interested.

travelfootprints.ca/2010/11/afternoon-tea-at…

Comox,British...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
308 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our Experience of Afternoon Tea At The Empress

Good post and blog travelbug.This is asked about often on this forum.For a special treat the Empress cant be beat.

One item to mention in your blog is that there is soft piano music being played in the background for added ambience

Canmore, Alberta
Destination Expert
for Canmore
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our Experience of Afternoon Tea At The Empress

Thanks islandrockin,

I will edit my post and put in something about the piano music, but strangely enough there wasn't anyone playing the piano while we had our tea. I guess that's why I forgot to mention it, but I know there is usually supposed to be.

Edited: 12 November 2010, 16:21
Banks, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,504 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Our Experience of Afternoon Tea At The Empress

Hello, travelbug---

I agree with you most heartily! I have been to Victoria 5 or 6 times now and always have the afternoon tea at the Empress. I never tire of it. And, yes, it is expensive, but I like to go as late in the afternoon as possible and then just consider it dinner (I know, it's kind of early, but after all they serve, I'm not usually hungry later). It's a very special place-I even bought a cup and saucer that's pictured so I can feel special at home too). I think my very favorite time was once in late November; as I was walking out from the latest seating, it was getting dark and all the Christmas lights were sparkling all over the city-quite a lovely experience indeed. :)

Canmore, Alberta
Destination Expert
for Canmore
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Our Experience of Afternoon Tea At The Empress

Yes OregonExplorer, it certainly fills you up for a while. I think we had our tea around 3:30ish, later in the evening between 7 and 8pm we just had a bit of a snack.

If you ever get a chance to go again in the winter you might want to time your visit with the festival of trees. This year it is from Nov 25 to Jan 4th. Dozens of huge trees are decorated in all kinds of styles from extremely elegant, to fun and whimsical. It is to raise money for the Childrens Hospital. https://secure.bcchf.ca/FOT/team.cfm?FOT=658 We have gone a few times and really enjoyed it.

Cheers :)

Banks, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,504 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Our Experience of Afternoon Tea At The Empress

Thank you, Travelbug! That looks really fun and beautiful---and I like the fact it's in support of your Children's Hospital-I shall certainly try for that---

Cheers to you also. :)

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,226 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Our Experience of Afternoon Tea At The Empress

While the Empress is a unique experience --- I found it a bit pretentious and not worth the money. So last trip my local friend and I went for tea at Murchie's Tea Company in downtown Victoria. http://www.murchies.com/wwww/victoria.php

This is the place to go to try really interesting teas. We had lunch there but they also offer an afternoon tea service and they have gorgeous pastries. A nice feature is that you don't pay for a lot of little sugary things you don't really want, you just pay for what you order -- a little or a lot.

I bought some very unusual teas to bring home and I am still enjoying them.

Each time I brew some, I think of Victoria.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,179 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Our Experience of Afternoon Tea At The Empress

On the other hand I find the Murchies tea shop in Victoria like eating in a store in a mall. Like their tea but definitely find the restaurant odd.

Canmore, Alberta
Destination Expert
for Canmore
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Our Experience of Afternoon Tea At The Empress

I agree Buccaneer Dave, It's certainly not the same experience as the Empress, which I think most of what going to the Empress for Afternoon Tea is about.

By the way, how is my hometown of Nanaimo? I miss it. The Rocky Mountains are lovely, but I miss my ocean and I don't want to be an Albertan anymore :(

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,179 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Our Experience of Afternoon Tea At The Empress

Just finished shovelling snow for 4 hours. Brutal. I almost feel like it's Alberta weather here, then I stared at the ferry coming in and felt better! Snows melting. Back to normal soon!

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
96 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Our Experience of Afternoon Tea At The Empress

Though I've lived in BC for 40 years I only had tea in the Empress for the first time this May on my grandmother's 100th birthday.

It was a great experience that I'm glad I did at least once...